Notifications
Clear all

More Ideas For Abs Website & Forum

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
New Member Guest

Hi Dan and Friends,

I really love the ABS website and forum and am wonder about a couple of things...

1. I know it would probably be a programming challenge, amount to a lot of work and likely have costs associated with it, BUT...if the lists on the ABS website of the MS, JS (and soon AS) folks could also be sorted by state that would be VERY useful. It would really help promote connecting with smiths in the area a person lives in or is visiting.
  2. Not sure why this is, but the knife photos on the ABS website and forum are kind of blurry. Is that because they have to be posted at too low resolution?

Deeply appreciating the work you've done/do!

All the best, Phil

Posted : 01/04/2012 5:14 pm
Admin_DJC305

Phil

In regard to your first question where you want to be able to not only view the members in alphabetical order but also be able to sort by state there are many issues. The first is that the ABS has members in 19 countries and not all counties have "States" as we do in the USA. More importantly, the public website is not the same and as interactive as an Access database and it could be very challenging to program the site to sort in two different ways. Currently the members are listed in their respective ratings in alphabetical order to make it easier to find a specific member. We also had the vendor program the member's list to also display their city and State or Province ( when available). It is very easy to just page down and view the States and find the particular State that you are looking for.

In regard to your comment that photos on the ABS website appear "kind of blurry" to you, this is the first time that anyone has told us this. I am able to view all photos displayed on both the ABS Website and Forum without any difficulty on all of my devices. You have to keep in mind that our members take their own photos and can make adjustments to resolution, contrast, sharpness, etc before they upload to the ABS Forum. Recently, the Forum moderators, several professional knife photographers, and I spent a great deal of time looking at the issues surrounding file size and resolution of photos for the ABS Forum and adjusted the rules to allow the upload of photos of less than 800x800 and less than 135k in file size.

Below is a photo of a knife in the ABS Knife Auction that I recently uploaded in several websites that I administer for the ABS. How does the photo display on your PC screen?

I am always looking at ways to improve the services that we offer and I administer on the ABS Website and Membership Application, ABS Forum, ABS YouTube Channel, Constant Contact Email Newsletters, Google Apps Educational Edition, and ABS on the Blade Magazine website. It must be kept in mind that the ABS has not raised dues in many years and the cost of modifications to the Website and Membership Application can be very expensive so we look carefully at the cost benefit of any change.

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 01/04/2012 7:47 pm
Share: