Notifications
Clear all

Chatouyance

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hello, I'm new to the abs. So my question is about chatouyance on ladder pattern damascus. First what is the best layer count to get the best chatouyance? Are some steels better? Are layers of more than 2 different types of steel better for chatouyance, such as instead of just 1095 and 15n20 you throw w2 in also or maybe a fourth steel!

Posted : 02/06/2017 5:59 pm
Joshua States

All good questions, and no definitive answers.

Best layer count for Chatoyance? That's a mixed bag because chatoyance is the way light reflects across a surface and produces an optical phenomenon that looks like movement. It's not for certain that layer count improves the effect or decreases it in a proportional ratio. The same is true for multiple types of steel.

Some folks like to throw in a few layers of pure nickel sheet in their billets because the nickel really reflects a lot of light and produces a very high contrast and some very shiny spots (even more so than 15N20 or L6)Nickel is not hardenable, so don't get carried away with it.

My personal opinion for a ladder pattern is based on what I have seen, more than what I have made, because I've seen a lot more ladder pattern blades than I have made, or will ever make. I would suggest something in the 250-400 layer range and a few (4-6) layers of pure nickel in the initial billet. YMMV depending on the thickness of the nickel relative to the other steels you use.

I do not know how much experience you have making pattern welded steel, but Knife & Gun Finishing Supplies sells 1080, 15N20, and pure nickel in compatible sizes for Damascus making. This is a classic combo and should be fairly easy to work.

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 21/06/2017 11:30 pm
Share: