Notifications
Clear all

Moran School Moving

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

We were told today that the Moran Bladesmithing school in Old Washington is being moved to Texarkana. It’s sad to say goodbye to the old shop and the history that was forged there.

Posted : 13/04/2019 10:40 pm
Karl B. Andersen

Am I the only one that didn't know that?

Where is this information from?

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 14/04/2019 10:29 am
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)

That stinks. I'm glad I got to go through the intro class there.

Posted : 14/04/2019 3:33 pm
BrionTomberlin

Yes it is true. I will not go into all the details, but basically we lost our lease. So, since the school is through Texarkana College and the ABS, it will be moving to the Texarkana College campus. Benefits are a larger shop, welding shop right next door, full backing of the college and the college president, more lodging choices, more dining choices, possibility of students staying on campus, and an airport. This has the vote of the ABS board and it is going to happen. It was a good hammer in this weekend and at the same time sad as it was the last one in Old Washington. I do not think it has fully sunk in yet.

So yes all new classes and hammer ins will take place at Texarkana College.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 14/04/2019 9:27 pm
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)

I was planning on coming to the hammer in. But my truck broke down and had some water pipe issues. The truck broke down Fri morning leaving the house. I guess its DEF issues. They are supposed to be picking it up in the morning. It powered down and wouldn't go over 10 mph.

Posted : 14/04/2019 9:33 pm
Karl B. Andersen

Well, that is sad. So many of our membership began their careers there.

We will turn the page and start a new era.

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 15/04/2019 7:32 am
Lin Rhea

I went to look around the old shop for the last time before the tools and equipment are removed. I snapped this picture looking back.

Attached files

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 15/04/2019 8:58 am
Share: