Clear all

Texarkana College - Moran School Of Bladesmithing

23 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
62.9 K Views
Admin_DJC305
Topic starter

Note: This is an older Topic with interesting comments about the school BUT for current 2017 class schedule, brochure, and registration form please go to this Topic link on the ABS Forum, Click: http://www.americanb...-bladesmithing/

The Moran School of Bladesmithing at Texarkana College was the first bladesmithing school in the world. Classes are offered by Texarkana College, Community Services Division, in cooperation with the American Bladesmith Society, Inc. and The Pioneer Washington Restoration Foundation.

All Bladesmithing courses are taught in Washington, Arkansas, in a replica of a one-room school house and a stable/barn that blends in with the old-time atmosphere of the town, also known as Old Washington Historic Park. The school consists of a modern classroom in addition to the work area which includes six forges, six anvils, six grinders, three trip hammers, work benches and related tools.

Washington, Arkansas is located in southwest Arkansas, 8 miles north of Hope, Arkansas on State Highway 4, approximately 35 miles from Texarkana. This restored village of fewer than 200 residents dates back to 1824.

Contact Vicki McCorkle, Texarkana College, for more information or to register for classes at 903-823-3015 or email [email protected]

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 08/02/2010 8:14 pm
Lyman Gerrish

Since I had the opportunity to attend the introduction to bladesmithing class last September I have been thinking of getting back to take the the other class's it was a great experience that I always will remember.

The instructors for the fist was Jim walker then Burt Foster for the second, my thanks to both.

I learned a lot and had fun doing it and thanks to Mr.Cook as well who stopped by to share his knowledge and show the class some of his latest creations.

Posted : 18/05/2010 10:46 am
Lin Rhea

The Moran School of Bladesmithing is a very special place to me. I knew very little about the place back in 02 when I took the intro class under Joe Keeslar and Greg Neeely. I found out during that class just how intense I could get just soaking it in. I was really fascinated to say the least.

Since then I have taken several courses along with participating in the Spring and Fall Hammer Ins. The sights and smells associated with the school have become so familiar that I enjoy stopping in when I get the chance just to breath it in and meet the great variety of people who attend the classes. I consider the place a treasure for our generation. Lin

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 18/05/2010 4:23 pm
Mike Williams

I have been remiss in not posting this until now; but since it is his birthday, and he started the looooonnnnnnggggg downhill slide; Brion" Too Tall" Tomberlin will be ably

assisting me in the basics class the first week of Nov.

Brion is a MS from Oklahoma also. It will be a great class. J R Cook and Bill Wiggins the first week and the Okies in the cleanup position on week two.

looking forward to it;

Mike

Mike Williams

Master Smith

Posted : 13/09/2010 8:32 pm
BrionTomberlin

Thanks Mike, I got reverse really cranked up on that downhill too. I am looking forward to it. We can shown them some real Okie bladesmithing. Thank you for letting me assist.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 13/09/2010 10:30 pm
Admin_DJC305
Topic starter

Master Smith JR Cook has finalized the school schedule for 2011.

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 24/09/2010 3:56 pm
Admin_DJC305
Topic starter

Master Smith JR Cook has finalized the school schedule for 2012. You can always check the ABS Website for the latest school information.

Vickie McCorkle - Continuing Education for Texarkana College

[email protected]

telephone (903) 832-5565 x3015

School Location:

Washington, Arkansas is located in southwest Arkansas, 8 miles north of Hope, Arkansas on State Highway 4, approximately 35 miles from Texarkana. This is a restored historic village of fewer than 200 residents.

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 31/10/2011 11:57 am
Estimable Member Journeyman Bladesmith

Looks like a good group of classes!

Posted : 31/10/2011 1:12 pm
Admin_DJC305
Topic starter

Dan,

Texarkana College has had some changes in phone numbers.  My contact number is now 903-823-3015, email is [email protected]

Thank you,

Vicki McCorkle

Administrative Assistant

Continuing Education Division

Texarkana College

2500 N. Robison Rd

Texarkana, TX 75599

Phone: 903-823-3015

Fax: 903-823-3451

[email protected]

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 01/12/2012 8:33 am
Admin_DJC305
Topic starter

Master Smith Mike Williams has been appointed the new ABS Liaison to the William F. Moran, Jr School of Bladesmithing at Texarkana College.

Mike Williams can be contacted at [email protected]

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 27/07/2013 10:31 am
Admin_DJC305
Topic starter

Today, I received the 2014 Brochure for the Moran School of Bladesmithing at Texarkana College and you can access it at this link to the ABS Website, Click: 2014 Brochure

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 11/11/2013 10:46 pm
Admin_DJC305
Topic starter

I was notified today by Texarkana College that due to the increased cost of class supplies, the Dean of Continuing Education at Texarkana College has recommended that the price be increased for the Introduction to Bladesmithing class. The price will change from$850 to $950 starting September 8, 2014.

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 08/01/2014 3:51 pm
Lin Rhea

Yep. The cost of living and doing business. It's still worth it.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 08/01/2014 8:07 pm
BrionTomberlin

Yes everything is going up. The class is still a bargain. You can learn in two weeks what would take years.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 08/01/2014 9:26 pm
Admin_DJC305
Topic starter

I received the following email notice today that the Bunkhouse in Washington, Arkansas is longer available as lodging for our classes. See below:

Mr. Cassidy,

Debbie at the state park in Old Washington has informed us that the Bunkhouse will no longer be an option to stay at during Bladesmithing classes. Could you please take the information off the web site.

Thank you

Vicki McCorkle

Administrative Assistant

Office of Continuing Education

Texarkana College

Ofc. (903) 823-3015

Fax: (903) 832-3747

www.texarkanacollege.edu

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 30/04/2014 7:39 pm