Clear all

2012 International Collaboration Knife Of The Year

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Admin_DJC305
Topic starter

2012 International Collaboration Knife of the Year

There is an interesting and tragic story behind the 2012 International Collaboration Knife of the Year. I was in contact with Adam DesRosiers, MS yesterday and he wanted to share this story with you:

"This is my first involvement with this auction, and it happened mostly through a tragic turn of events. I'll tell you the story of this knife and perhaps it will help you to give it a title. If you know Samuel Lurquin, then this will make more sense, if you don't, I hope you meet him soon. Sam is an apprentice smith of exceptional talent, and a stellar human being.

I became acquainted with Sam through the Bladeforums. I liked his work, and thought he made similar knives to my own. It turns out that he was already a friend of Jason Knights, and had been inspired by Jason's and my work. I began to communicate with Sam via e-mail, and an occasional (translated) phone call. We became good friends, and finally met in person at Blade show. But I digress. Going back to before we had met, a friend and avid collector of Sam's work, by the Name of Sebastien, called me from France or Belgium (I forget which) and asked if I would make him a knife. I explained that I was in the agonizing throes of trying to make my MS test knives, and that I really wasn't able to take any orders at the time. Well, he was so excited and so enthusiastic, that i agreed to try and make him something if I had any spare time at all. That seemed to make him the happiest guy in the world, end of conversation. A few days later, he calls again to check on the knife. Obviously, it wasn't done, but he was undeterred, and this time he told me that if I could just make the blade, he was sure that Sam would be happy to finish the knife. (of course he didn't bother to tell Sam that he would be finishing the knife) I reassured him that I would do what I could if I got some time, and that I would be happy to do a collaboration with Sam.

A few days later I get a very sheepish e-mail from him explaining that he told Sam the situation and had received an exquisite ass chewing for disturbing me while i was trying to finish my test knives. I got a good laugh out of this, and by this time I was already working on his blade anyway. I talked to Sam about the project, and after he profusely apologized for his friends manners, he asked if I might be able to just bring a blade with me to Blade show. I said I would be happy to bring the blade, and I did, though it was less finished than I would have liked. Sam took the blade home with him and began to work on it. He was doing a fabulous job, and would keep me posted at every new development.

At around this time I received the tragic news that the collector had suddenly passed away from cancer. Sam and I were left with the tough decision of what to do with the knife. After we determined that there was no family that was interested in the knife, Sam insisted that I should have the knife to keep or sell at my discretion. Of course I argued that Sam should have the knife as a sentimental token of his friendship with the collector. Sam would have none of it, insisting that the knife was rightfully mine and that he had many other collectors in Belgium who would be happy to buy it from me. It was my opinion that Sam had done most of the work on the knife, and that if it were to be sold, he should keep any proceeds. Again, Sam would not hear of it. At that time I suggested that we donate the knife to be auctioned for a good cause. Sam chose the ABS auction, and I agreed. So, that is how the knife came to be, and came to be donated."

Adam DesRosiers, Master Smith

The 2012 International Collaboration Knife of the Year was made by Master Smith Adam Des Rossier, of Alaska, and Sam Lurquin, an ABS member from Belgium, who combined their talents to produce this large and well designed camp knife. The blade length is 9 7/8 inch of carbon steel with a Damascus guard and bolster. It has a natural wood handle with a pin and thong hole . Adam and Sam designed a special stamp featuring both names. The knife is complemented by an exceptionally well made leather sheath made by European leather worker Gustaff Van Bellegen.

For more information about this knife Master Smith Adam DesRosiers can be contacted at [email protected]

For more information about the ABS Knife Auction to be held at the 2012 Blade Show and International Cutlery Fair in Atlanta, GA in June please contact Master Smith Dan Petersen at [email protected]

The knife photo is by BR Hughes.

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 11/04/2012 1:29 pm
Active Member Master Bladesmith/ABS Instructor (5yr)

sad story, but a beautiful knife, great work!

Posted : 24/04/2012 3:24 pm
Share: