Notifications
Clear all

Friction Folder

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Trusted Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

Hey all I have a question on friction folders. I looked at all 186 posts that have the word folder in it and the primitive folder post and not seeing what i am looking for. I watched allot of youtube vids as well and nothing. I was wondering if any one has plans of a friction folder, I am wanting to know what kind of pin to use to keep the blade tight all the time. I just bought some Barrel pivot pins not sure if these will work right.

any input on this would be great. Thanks ahead of time.

Posted : 25/06/2017 6:41 am
New Member Guest

Brandon, I think Lin Rhea has some patterns/plans and I know he has made several. I will ask him and see if he can answer your questions. I know he has some things keeping him busy at the moment, so give him a little time to reply.

I have handled a couple of his friction folders and am impressed with how well they function.

Chris

Posted : 25/06/2017 7:41 am
Lin Rhea

Brandon,

A good place to get some starting information is Wayne Goddard's book "The Wonder of Knife Making" see pg 148.

Also there is a Japanese style primitive folder that is really nice. I think it's called higo no kami.

As far as the Barrel Pivot pins go, I don't think there are rules unless you are making something that should be historically correct. Use em if you like. The nice thing about making primitive folders is that, historically, they were made from locally available material. Deer antler, horn, etc. In some countries, a type of metal was easier to find than animal parts. It sort of depends on just how "primitive" you want to go. I realize you said "friction" folder. The term sometimes is used to cover primitives.

Nick Rossi teaches a class on this type of knife and I am drawn to that style since it's achieved largely by smithing.

There's another book that I find interesting. It's called "Antler and Iron" by Gene Chapman. Jim Sowers told me about this book and I picked up one used. I really like it.

As with all styles of knives, the folder has unlimited variations, some toward which we each might be drawn more than others.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 26/06/2017 11:32 am
Trusted Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

thanks for the info guys, i will get the books

Posted : 26/06/2017 5:06 pm
Share: