Notifications
Clear all

Primitive Folders

19 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
Lin Rhea
Topic starter

I would be interested in seeing your variations of the simple (or not so simple) folder design commonly referred to as "Primitive". I have seen an antler tip used as the body with a split for the blade to sit in while closed. Any variation of this whether with antler or not would be interesting to me. I will also post a picture of one I made with a folded steel body after a bit.

While being simple in mechanism, I think the part they played in the development of modern folders deserves some attention. I think this will give me and others some ideas that might spark a new twist or a new project. If it has a back spring that's OK or if looks primitive but is has a modern mechanism, that's OK too.

I look forward to seeing what you show.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 22/10/2014 8:22 am
New Member Guest

Lin, I just finished my first prototype friction folder. After seeing some of Daniel Warrens folders I started researching folders. I wanted to start with something basic and simple. This being what seemed to me to be how the first pocket knives were made. I will be making another one soon.

Posted : 22/10/2014 9:25 pm
Lin Rhea
Topic starter

Very nice George. That is exactly what I'm looking for. The simplicity of these is so interesting but the subtle changes and the variations are endless. Please add as many more as you can. Thanks.

Is your pattern foam board?

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 23/10/2014 5:57 am
New Member Guest

Lin I use free paint stirring sticks to make my working models and one up templates. On larger stuff l've used 1/4" wood. The current one I'm doing was made from some Kydex I had laying around.

Posted : 23/10/2014 7:51 am
Lin Rhea
Topic starter

George, I have tried several times to post some pictures and cant do it. I can post about anywhere else but have always had a LOT of trouble getting this forum to take my photos. I've resized them but I don't think that is the problem. I would post a lot more otherwise.

I apologize for not being able, even after I started the thread.

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 23/10/2014 12:19 pm
New Member Guest

Lin I have an Android cellphone and use an App called "Reduce Photo Size" to reduce my photos. I had to reduce the ones I posted earlier. My other sites use 1024 as the size where this one uses 800 as it's size. PM me with regards to the software you use and I will try to simplify the process for you. If you like I willnsend you my cellphone number and can explain a simple way to get the right size just about anytime you need to reduce one. I was in the IT business as first a graphic artist/photographer, software engineer, web designer, and systems engineer. I started IT on mainframes. My passions have always included photography and technology. I retired after serving nearly 20 years, of which the last 12 of I was the Sr. Director in charge of all technology for my city. If you are using a PC to edit your photos I can help with that also.

George

Posted : 23/10/2014 3:13 pm
Lin Rhea
Topic starter

I'd like that George. Thank you.

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 23/10/2014 7:46 pm
Joshua States

I'm a little vague on the term "primitive folder". Are you referring to what I commonly hear called the simple "slip joint"? This is a non-locking folder with a spring along the back of the handle and notched back on the blade tang to keep the blade in the open position. Simple pressure on the spine will overcome the spring tension and close the blade.

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 25/10/2014 12:55 am
New Member Guest

One of the "primitives" in Europe is the "Piémontais". It's the same as George's knife above. Check it on google to see the different styles on the locking area, you can really do crazy things with it! This is on top of the "to-do" list.

Chris

Posted : 25/10/2014 3:25 am
Lin Rhea
Topic starter

Joshua, I was thinking just a stripped down folding knife that commonly used an antler tip for the handle. Not necessarily having a spring but I am really wanting to see various old style folders whether it has a spring or not. Or a locking mechanism as long as it is early and predates the modern slip joints and locking knives. Thanks guys.

I bet I'll get a picture or two up eventually.

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 25/10/2014 8:33 pm

Hi Lin.

Here's a primitive style folder I made a couple of years back. The steel and spring are forged 1060 with some vanadium (it's a German tool steel sold by Dick Tools). The steel was heat treated and (for the spring) blued in molten salt, and the blade has a mustard finish. Other parts are copper, silver, and antler. The style of the locking mechanism is copied from a knife I bought years ago in Barcelona.

Apologies for the lousy photos. (One does the best one can.)

--David Kahn

Attached files

Posted : 11/11/2014 12:36 pm
Lin Rhea
Topic starter

That's some beautiful work David. Just what I like to see.

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 11/11/2014 1:01 pm
Noble Member Apprentice Bladesmith

Lin,

I've not made any so I don't have any photos but the French laguiole style might be something that you might explore. Since it can have an external spring, it could work with a stag tip.

Gary

Posted : 11/11/2014 6:21 pm

|quoted:

I would be interested in seeing your variations of the simple (or not so simple) folder design commonly referred to as "Primitive". I have seen an antler tip used as the body with a split for the blade to sit in while closed. Any variation of this whether with antler or not would be interesting to me. I will also post a picture of one I made with a folded steel body after a bit.

While being simple in mechanism, I think the part they played in the development of modern folders deserves some attention. I think this will give me and others some ideas that might spark a new twist or a new project. If it has a back spring that's OK or if looks primitive but is has a modern mechanism, that's OK too.

I look forward to seeing what you show.

Hi Guys

I have just joined the ABS, I'm a full time maker living in the United Kingdom. I have just come across this thread and thought I would post some pictures of the latest French style trappers knife I have just finished. I hope the pictures load up as I am like a flint knapper with two broken thumbs when it comes to PC'S.

The blade and the external back spring of this friction folder are forged from 5160, the length of the blade is 100mm and is 3mm thick at the spine. The handle is Sambar stag antler, it's open length is 240mm, closed is 140mm. The steel saddle has planished sides, a plum brown finish and is topped off with a brass rose. The brass butt cap is filed and fitted to the end of the antler tine by a central gun blued steel screw. The cap also has 4 x 1.6mm gun blued steel pins set around it's circumference. I hope you like it.

Kind regards

Steve

Posted : 13/05/2015 1:37 pm
Lin Rhea
Topic starter

Thanks for the post Stephen. Very pretty work. The small touches really make these knives special. I like the combination of different materials as well.

Welcome to the forum!

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 13/05/2015 2:39 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: