Notifications
Clear all

Slip Joint Build Information And Ideas

52 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
173.2 K Views
New Member Guest

tell us more about the tapered edge on the file please. It may just be me (it often is) but I can't tell how the edges are ground from the pic, except that the are. I have an idea from inferring/deducing. But, I would rather just hear it from you and be sure about how and why.

Please.

This is great information. I can't do the build along, but I am still learning a lot.

thank you

kc

Posted : 14/08/2016 6:43 am
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

Tony, your pattern should be there Monday.

Dr. Cowell, the edges are ground at an angle something like this. /_____\ The bottom is what is used to file the notch area. I will get a photo of the file from the end to show this a little better. The notch is slightly less than 90 degrees and the way the file is ground it allows me to file and keep the inside corner sharp. Here is a better view of the file being used.

I hope these help show what I am trying to explain.

View from the end.

View from the edge.

A staged in use picture.

Posted : 15/08/2016 12:53 am
New Member Guest

Got my steel in today cant wait to get started

Posted : 20/08/2016 12:30 am
New Member Guest

Craig where do I find the bronze bushings if I decided to do shadow scales ?

Posted : 20/08/2016 11:06 am
Topic starter

Use 3/8 rod in what ever material you want for the washers. I have some pictures to add to the project knife thread showing how to do it.

Posted : 20/08/2016 12:11 pm
New Member Guest

Craig on this build we had templates for the liners , I have unsuccessfully tried folders in the past my problem may sound simple but I have a hard time with figuring where to put the pivot hole in the liner how far down? in the center or a little to one side like the patterns you sent us ?

Thanks Anthony

Posted : 21/08/2016 11:17 am
Topic starter

If the pivot is in the center the blade will need to be thinner from spine to edge to keep from hitting the spring when closed. Also the spine of the blade will be close to the handle when closed.

How far to lower the pivot depends on how much of the back of the blade you want to stick out of the handle when closed. Try something like 55% - 60% below the spine of the handle. It is easier to get your patterns set up and working properly to keep from trashing to much blade steel and liner material.

Posted : 21/08/2016 5:52 pm
Page 4 / 4
Share: