Clear all

Big Blade Weight

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Trusted Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

Evening folks,

I'd just like to ask what kind of weights are your big bowies coming in at? What's average? Is there an average accepted weight? I'm talking at least a 10 inch blade 15 overall type thing. I've just done one that came in at 16 and change overall length and a tad over 2 inch at the heel of the blade. Had a double guard, g10 block handle and a3/8 stainless pommel. Weighs in at almost 1.5 lbs. Initially when i pick it up it feels hefty, but a couple seconds into holding it since it balances right on the ricasso it feels good. Does good balance trump weight to some extent? I'm interested to hear what u all have to say as i don't get to hoist allot of other makers work. Thanks guys, take care.

Posted : 25/07/2016 8:14 pm
Lin Rhea

Good balance will trump weight. Weight is important in how it pertains to balance but over all, weight is secondary, maybe even irrelevant in some cases.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 26/07/2016 3:57 pm
Trusted Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

Okay. Thank you lin,

I'll not sweat so hard about the weight then and just keep concentrating on getting the balanced dialed in.

Posted : 28/07/2016 10:54 am
BrionTomberlin

I agree with Lin Jesse. Concentrate on balance and a good distal taper and the weight should work itself out. I like my big blades to have a balance point somewhere in the ricasso area. You have to think not only about blade shape but also think about handle material and fittings that have the weight to balance the blade.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 28/07/2016 9:01 pm
Share: