Blackened Steel Spacers

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Reactions
17.8 K Views
Trusted Member Master Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

Hey All,

A customer has requested a knife with blackened steel spacers, and I am not exactly sure the best way to do this. Hot bluing is definitely not an option for me right now.

The customer sent me a link for a steel blackening gel made by Caswell as a possibility, but I am unsure of the durability of that finish. I have also considered cold gun blacking from Brownells, or even just a dark oil patina.

Does anyone have suggestions for what method to use for optimal durability?

Thanks,

Jordan

Posted : 13/08/2015 9:17 pm
Lin Rhea

Are these smooth or textured?

I have taken fittings and heated them first to low/medium red to raise the oxides a bit then let them cool down to about 500 degrees and applied linseed oil to them letting it sizzle. It will turn black and form a pleasing finish. You'd then have to sand the flats for a clean joint.

I also have the Caswell and use it frequently. Mostly for inset areas such as in file work.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 14/08/2015 8:21 am
Topic starter

Thanks for your reply Lin.

These will be smooth spacers. I do the oil patina the same way you do, but I have never used it for spacers, just guards and other ironwork. I hadn't thought of sanding the flats, but that would definitely solve the problem of fit.

Posted : 14/08/2015 10:58 am
Matthew Parkinson
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

One clasic method is to force rust them. Carding down the rust with fine steel wool untill even. Then boil in green tea or cheep wine (with lots of tanins) followed with a hot oil or wax this leaves a very black and durable finish.

Posted : 14/08/2015 9:29 pm
Lin Rhea

Matthew, That sounds a lot like browning. Reckon you might do a tutorial some time? Would make a good one.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 15/08/2015 10:56 am
BrionTomberlin

I agree Lin. I have used the plum brown solution from birchwood casey and it works well. A tutorial would be good Matthew.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 15/08/2015 9:26 pm
Matthew Parkinson

I'll try no promises .. Bit busy these days..

Posted : 15/08/2015 10:26 pm
Topic starter

Matthew, "force rusting" sounds intriguing. It sounds like you could even do that on a blade if you wanted that look, given that it doesn't require too much heating.

All of you have great ideas. Thanks so much.

Jordan

Posted : 23/08/2015 12:27 pm
Matthew Parkinson

|quoted:

Matthew, "force rusting" sounds intriguing. It sounds like you could even do that on a blade if you wanted that look, given that it doesn't require too much heating.

All of you have great ideas. Thanks so much.

Jordan

you can certainly brown or rust blue a blade, I know Jason Knights Black blade finish is a similar process.

For the most part the idea is to convert FEO2 (rust) to the more stable FEO3 (scale) in a thin tough attractive layer.

I am trying to get a short video done on this. but the rusting is giving me trouble getting an even rusting, I left it over the weekend to rust we'll see if that did the trick. MP

Posted : 23/08/2015 10:11 pm
Share: