Notifications
Clear all

Mike Price Bowie Knife

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Trusted Member Master Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

I have been doing some cursory internet research on Mike Price's bowie knives (mainly looking at pictures) to inform an upcoming project. However, all of the images I have found to date show the knives from the front, showing the classic spear-point blade; straight, double guard; and tear-drop handle with three rivets down the center.

I am still missing some critical information as to how the handles of these knives were constructed. I would like to know:

1) were they typically full-tang or frame handles?

2) Was the tang/frame tapered?

3) if they are full-tang, was the guard slid on from the blade or the handle end?

If anyone knows the answers to these questions off-hand, or knows of an image that shows the spine of a Mike Price knife, I would be very appreciative.

Posted : 16/08/2018 12:26 pm
Lin Rhea

Like this one? This could be considered his signature style. He made others but I think this is the one you’re talking about.

Notice that he used an iron guard on this style. I believe he slid the guard on from the back and forged the tang wider and into the classic peanut shape and then installed the scales.

Any non ferrous guard material would not be able to withstand the forging heat that close.

I suspect heat treat was done just after the guard was on and the back of the handle was forged wider. Tang is also tapered. The design allowed the guard to be slid back just enough to finish the blade. Scales are last and holds the guard up against the ricasso.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 17/08/2018 8:23 am
Trusted Member Master Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

Thanks very much, Lin for your response. That is indeed the design I had in mind.

I would never have expected that order of operations for the guard and handle forging, but it does make sense. Sometimes I get stuck thinking you have to heat treat the blade, grind it, then make the fittings. It'll be interesting to change it up.

Posted : 17/08/2018 12:07 pm
Share: