Notifications
Clear all

Polishing San-Mai?

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Good Afternoon,

Looking for some insight on how you guys polish up San-Mai to keep the transition lines crisp and the core nice and dark. I have recently been dabbling with some San-mai but i cant seem to keep the edge (core) nice and dark when i finish/clean up the knife. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,

Josh

Posted : 16/10/2019 11:24 am
Joshua States

What are the steels used?

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 16/10/2019 11:28 am
Topic starter

|quoted:

What are the steels used?

At this point I am just using 15n20 and 80CRV and the practice. At some point i would like to try some Stainless and the carbon core but want to get all the processes down first.

Posted : 16/10/2019 2:15 pm
Karl B. Andersen

That's the big difference - you are using two tool steels that will act just about the same when finished/etched/polished. It will be difficult to get them to look differently even with the nickel in the 15N20.

Stainless San-Mai uses two entirely different materials and the result will always be a striking difference.

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 16/10/2019 3:04 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

That's the big difference - you are using two tool steels that will act just about the same when finished/etched/polished. It will be difficult to get them to look differently even with the nickel in the 15N20.

Stainless San-Mai uses to entirely different materials and the result will always be a striking difference.

[media]https://[/media]

[/img]

Thanks Karl, I have seen some of your San-Mai knives and they are beautiful. Are there any posts anywhere on using the welding the stainless? I know that it needs to be oxygen free and it can be difficult. But i am not sure i want to rely on my welding skills to make sure it is completely closed up. Did you use a canister? What about the quench, do you do an edge quench on this to help with the stresses in the steel?

Posted : 16/10/2019 4:26 pm
Lin Rhea

I will just jump in and say one thing Josh. Your welding skills are just one factor, as with anyone. The other factor is the material and the technique. You simply must meet it half way. It absolutely requires you to in order to be a success at it whether it be welding welding or so many other things.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 17/10/2019 8:19 am
Karl B. Andersen

I don't weld my pieces to seal them up.

You can literally use a piece of thin walled tail pipe and crimp the ends.

I use clay where I don't want it to harden.

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 17/10/2019 8:23 am
Share: