Notifications
Clear all

Reversed Tapered Tang...flared?

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hey all,

So, today as I was on the grinder a thought came to me and I figured I would ask here and access the wealth of knowledge.

A tapered tang does look better on a full tang knife, and as was pointed out in my last thread about the subject, it just shows the smith put in the extra care.

But, what about a full tang that flares out at the end. For example, you've made a long, heavy blade and want to add some weight in the rear to balance it but don't want to ad a pommel.

What are your thoughts on a tang that would have the same angles as a tapered tang, only out instead of in?

Might be a dumb idea, but it wouldn't be my first nor my last, I'm sure.

Posted : 23/10/2018 9:28 pm
Karl B. Andersen

It's not a dumb idea.

The first aspect of a knife should be function. If increasing weight to the rear helps the function of the knife - then go for it.

For every aspect of your knife, there should be a reason. And it seems like that would be a good one.

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 24/10/2018 8:17 am
Lin Rhea

If the flow is from the ricasso out, with no sharp step, as you seem to describe, strength is not a problem. It'll be fun grinding it though:).

I enjoy seeing fresh thinking. I pride myself in that too but often end up with twice the work to carry it through. So I would ask myself, "Why have I not seen other experienced knife makers use this technique?". In some cases the answer could be that it's a matter of not being practical. In others(more rare) no one has thought of it.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 24/10/2018 8:18 am
Trusted Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Check out the ABS YouTube channel and watch Kevin Harvey's 2015 International Mastersmith knife of the year. This knife has a reverse tapered tang and scales which looks great on this particular knife.

Posted : 24/10/2018 8:20 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

Check out the ABS YouTube channel and watch Kevin Harvey's 2015 International Mastersmith knife of the year. This knife has a reverse tapered tang and scales which looks great on this particular knife.

Thanks Barry, I will check that out for sure. I'd love to see how it looks finished before I start hammering one out!

Posted : 25/10/2018 4:25 am
Topic starter

|quoted:

If the flow is from the ricasso out, with no sharp step, as you seem to describe, strength is not a problem. It'll be fun grinding it though:).

I enjoy seeing fresh thinking. I pride myself in that too but often end up with twice the work to carry it through. So I would ask myself, "Why have I not seen other experienced knife makers use this technique?". In some cases the answer could be that it's a matter of not being practical. In others(more rare) no one has thought of it.

Oh, I can think outside the box...sometimes waaay outside the box. LOL. The practicality issue was what I was thinking too..

Posted : 25/10/2018 4:27 am
Topic starter

|quoted:

It's not a dumb idea.

The first aspect of a knife should be function. If increasing weight to the rear helps the function of the knife - then go for it.

For every aspect of your knife, there should be a reason. And it seems like that would be a good one.

This one might not be a dumb idea, but believe me, I've come up with some dingers...once I try to implement them I come up with the same scenario that Lin talks about below...them not being practical. Or some of the simply dumb..Ha.

I just try to think about balance, looks, feel..etc. While still trying to come up with something new...who knows, maybe one day I'll come up with the winning idea.

Posted : 25/10/2018 4:29 am
Share: