Notifications
Clear all

Sailing Boat Knives

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

Hi a friend of mine has asked me to make a knife for his father in law. I know the gentleman lives on the coast of Vancouver Island and spends a lot of time on his sail boat. I was thinking of maybe making a knife for him to use on his sail boat. I looked at a few sailing magazines but they really don't describe the characteristics of any of the knives that they say are a good sailors blade. I know nothing of sailing being no where close to any ocean. If someone has a a knife design that would be good for an all around blade for an older guy to use on the a sail boat it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

kelly

Posted : 04/01/2017 9:58 pm
New Member Guest

Most of the examples of knives I have seen for sailors were made in a time when they needed them for rope cutting tasks and they also incorporated a pick or "marlin spike" for working knots. These knives were also referred to as rigging knives. I would think a an everyday carry type of fixed blade would be fine in most modern sailing applications.

Chris

Posted : 05/01/2017 2:16 pm
Robert Wright

Kelly,

I have an old Buck Rigging knife that I used many times when I owned sailboats. It's a folder. I'd be glad to email you a picture.

Also, Ben Breda recently made a set, knife and marlin spike.

Bob

Posted : 05/01/2017 4:42 pm
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

Thanks I will google Ben and look at what he made. I have an idea of what they use from magazines but they don't have a lot of information .

Posted : 05/01/2017 11:42 pm
Share: