Notifications
Clear all

Spacer Length

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Estimable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

I was wondering is there a general length on spacers behind the guard, some seem to short others seem to long. I'm in the process of drawing up a 7" blade it will have a oval guard with a spacer and stag, and I just can't get the spacer to look like it fits the knife.

Posted : 22/02/2018 9:08 pm
BrionTomberlin

Landon, I generally go with 3/8" for the spacer. It seems to fit most blades larger than five inches for me. Plus that is a standard size, 3/8" x 3/4" x 12" for my 416 barstock. However when it comes to more complicated spacers like three piece I have to adjust things a bit. You can always use the golden mean to give you a starting point.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 22/02/2018 9:37 pm
Estimable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

Thank you Brion, I was wondering if you could use the golden mean rule on spacers, or if there was a variant of it for spacers.

Posted : 22/02/2018 9:45 pm
Noble Member Apprentice Bladesmith

Landon,

I would agree with Brion if the handle has a thin (or no) butt cap. However should the knife handle have a lengthy pommel then a longer spacer seems to balance better.

Posted : 23/02/2018 6:09 pm
Joshua States

I do not have any rule of thumb for this, although I seem to gravitate toward making the spacer the same width as the ricasso. Because I always work from a full scale design drawing, the dimensions always vary and I always have measurements that "look right." Visual balance is the key, whether you are balancing against a buttcap as Gary mentioned or balancing against the guard or the ricasso. Brion's suggestion is also valid because you can use the gold ratio in almost anything. The human brain is somehow wired to find this ratio and focus on it. The simple fact that we find it pleasing is a bonus. It would suggest making the drawing, getting it to look right and build to the drawing.

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 30/03/2018 7:04 pm
Share: