Notifications
Clear all

Stencil Etching

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

I've seen a lot of people who use the personalizer plus, I was wondering if anyone used IMG's SS-211 etching machine. What's your preference and why?

Thanks,

Travis<><

Posted : 12/05/2019 9:55 pm
Joshua States

Although I have never used either one, I still have an opinion from talking to a lot of makers who also etch. The consensus is that the device is not as important as the stencil. The device just needs to be able to switch from AC to DC and have a stable output. The stencil quality is what really makes the difference between a crisp and clean etch and a fuzzy one. I use a simple etcher called The Etchomatic (seriously). I buy my stencils from Marking Methods.

Other folks may feel differently about it.

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 13/05/2019 8:51 pm
BrionTomberlin

Travis I have heard good things about the IMG machine. Like Joshua says the stencils are important. I have my stencils made by IMG and have for years. Very good quality stencils. I use a personalizer and it works fine. There are plans available on the internet for making your own etching machine.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 13/05/2019 11:23 pm
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

|quoted:

Travis I have heard good things about the IMG machine. Like Joshua says the stencils are important. I have my stencils made by IMG and have for years. Very good quality stencils. I use a personalizer and it works fine. There are plans available on the internet for making your own etching machine.

Brion

I ordered my stencils from IMG with Patricia Bruno. I couldn't be happier with them. I didn't know if the machine would make a big difference though.

Thanks Brion!

t<><

Posted : 14/05/2019 9:35 pm
Share: