Notifications
Clear all

Bronze For Guards

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I'd like to use bronze for my guards, but I don't know what kind to get specifically. So, if you use bronze for your knife furniture, exactly what alloy is it and who is your source?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. I really like the look of it on a knife, and am eager to try it.

Posted : 28/11/2017 7:56 pm
Matthew Parkinson
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

I use Silicon bronze and phosphor bronze I have in the past also used Tin bronze. The silicon bronze is one of my favorite materials lovely warm color and a quickly developing patina with really lovely deep tones, the material I have came from several thickness of plate we have in the shop, the plate was scrap from a an architectural job we did a few years ago, I think we ordered that from Atlas metals, The phosphor bronze I buy from McMaster-Carr the phosphor has a nice color closer to copper and also can patina nicely. the tin bronze I have used for casting, that I ordered as casting shot from Reo Grande.

atlas metals

Posted : 28/11/2017 8:22 pm
Kevin R. Cashen

I have worked with all the ones mentioned by Matt, and also aluminum bronze, which is a little tougher to shape, and not as rich gold in color, but maintains a nice luster longer than other bronzes.

"One test is worth 1000 'expert' opinions" Riehle Testing Machines Co.

Posted : 28/11/2017 9:34 pm
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Jim

All I have used at this time is the Aluminum #954 bronze. The best price I have found is from , nationalbronze.com round or flat just about any size.

Anthony

Posted : 29/11/2017 12:40 am
Topic starter

Thanks for the help everyone. I had called Atlas and the thickest bar stock they have is 1/4". I was hoping to find some 3/8" x 1 stock. I'll call these other suppliers mentioned and see if they can help me out. Kevin, did the knives you had at the Badger show have the aluminum bronze on them? They looked really great.

Posted : 29/11/2017 2:40 pm
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)

Try Atlas again--I've ordered various thicknesses from them and they were very accommodating. I just checked their site and they advertise barstock in various thicknesses.

I really like their silicon bronze. They have sheet too.

Atlas Bronze Bar Stock

Atlas Bronze Square Stock

Steve

Posted : 29/11/2017 4:53 pm
Topic starter

Thanks for pointing this out Steve. When I called Atlas, I asked for 3/8" x 1" and the gal said they didn't have 3/8", only 1/4". I'm going to order some of the 1/2", and just grind it or mill it to the thickness I need.

Posted : 30/11/2017 9:35 am
Active Member Apprentice Bladesmith

|quoted:

Thanks for pointing this out Steve. When I called Atlas, I asked for 3/8" x 1" and the gal said they didn't have 3/8", only 1/4". I'm going to order some of the 1/2", and just grind it or mill it to the thickness I need.

Jim, I am a retired Marine Hardware Machinist/ fabricator. along with the various stainless steels I used lots of brass/bronzes. Check out the Copper Development Assn. (copper.org) for the data sheets on the bronzes.

Sil Brz. : C65500, Sil. Alum Brz. :C64200, Alum Brz : C95900, Naval Brass : C46400.

I use Naval Brass for it's color and machinability(more gold than copper red) The silicon Brz is gummy to machine at high speeds due to the high copper content but will do fine with slower speeds. I find the silver color of the alum. Brz. to be a little too much.

A simple alloy rule is: zinc=brass, Tin=Bronze.

Hope this helps,

Albert

Posted : 30/11/2017 10:44 am
Topic starter

Thanks Albert for the info on Copper Development Assn., and the advice on machining bronze. I'm a novice with the machining part so any help and/or advice is appreciated.

Posted : 01/12/2017 12:41 pm
New Member Guest

I also use a great deal of Bronze guards and buttcaps, phosphorus being my favorite when I can find it, but my last few purchases have actually been from e-bay in the form of large rough cast billets of aluminum bronze. I have a milling machine and bandsaw so I'm able go from rough stock to dimension requirements but I'll caution you that if any of your needs require soldering, such as soldering the guard on or attaching a nut to the inside of a buttcap you will want to stay away from the aluminum Bronze entirely. I've yet to find a low temp flux and solder combo that will give a solid or clean bond. On my buttcaps I have to integrally mill, drill and tap an inside shank for threading down the cap, but I will say this, there is nothing stronger when done in this manner.

Posted : 04/12/2017 1:50 pm
Share: