Clear all

Ebony Or A. Blackwood

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Steve Randall
Eminent Member Master Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

I have started playing with fluting and wire inlay and have a question about the wood choice.A lot of daggers have black wood for handles and wondered what most use/recommend. I have used African blackwood before but found some nice Ebony and wondered how it holds up. My concern is it prone to cracking more than A.B.. With limited experience with ebony any advice is appreciated.

Steve

Posted : 28/09/2015 8:44 am
Ed Caffrey
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith

Hi Steve!

Personally I try to steer clear of Ebony. Experience has taught me that Ebony is like concrete..... its not a matter of IF it will crack or check, its a matter of WHEN. Nothing worse then putting a lot of time and effort into a handle, only to have it come back a year or two later with a crack or split. Its happened to me enough times in the past, that I just quit using Ebony.

On the other side of the coin, I've never had African Blackwood crack or check. I also find African Blackwood much nicer to work with. I think you'd find that cutting flutes, and especially the twisted wire inlay is much less frustrating when using African Blackwood versus Ebony.

Ed Caffrey, ABS MS
"The Montana Bladesmith"
www.CaffreyKnives.net

Posted : 28/09/2015 9:29 am
Kevin R. Cashen

I would like to second what Ed said. I have worked with both, and actually have both in my stock right now, and blackwood is absolute tops in being stable and a pure pleasure to work with. Its colors are richer and deeper than ebony and the grain is so tight that it is more like working a plastic than wood, if you get a chance to turn it, it is a pure treat. As for taking the wire inlay, it is about the best I have worked with, it will deform just enough to accept the wire but still not chip or check.

"One test is worth 1000 'expert' opinions" Riehle Testing Machines Co.

Posted : 28/09/2015 9:38 am
Admin_DJC305

Steve

I agree with Ed and Kevin. Ebony is known to easily crack and chip while African Blackwood is a pleasure to work with. I am just finishing work on fluting an African Blackwood handle and it has been a pleasure to work on. The deep and rich color that you can achieve during final finishing is amazing.

Make sure that you use a good respirator during all grinding operations with African Blackwood to protect yourself.

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 28/09/2015 9:54 am
Steve Randall
Topic starter

THANKS for the advice and information, it has been a tremendous help.

Steve

Posted : 28/09/2015 10:19 am
BrionTomberlin

Hello Steve. I too have to recommend the blackwood. So much easier to work than ebony, no checking or cracking issues. It also polishes out really nicely. For a really dark or black handle it is my go to wood.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 28/09/2015 10:35 am
Steve Randall
Topic starter

Thanks Brion. All good stuff.

steve

Posted : 29/09/2015 8:18 am
Share: