Notifications
Clear all

Hidden Tang Or Mortised Tang Handles -Topic For November 2016

39 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
15.4 K Views
New Member Guest

The best way I've found is to split the block into two scales, flatten them, trace the tang, and then chisel out the space. Sounds like more work, but it goes quickly and you get a perfect fit. The biggest benefit I've found is that because the handle fits so well, you can finish the handle before gluing and pinning it.

Posted : 15/10/2016 3:04 pm
Reputable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Oh yes I see what you mean. Top and bottom of the tang. Yes that makes sense.

Appreciate the help. I'll pick the flea market tomorrow and see if I can find a longer endmill.

Posted : 15/10/2016 8:06 pm
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith

Where are you guys finding these super long endmills? I'm thinking you'd need a 3/16 by 3" at least?

Posted : 25/10/2016 10:40 am
Reputable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

|quoted:

Where are you guys finding these super long endmills? I'm thinking you'd need a 3/16 by 3" at least?

There's a couple on Google. Search for extra long endmill. They are usually 3 or 4 inches.

Other than that the only ones I can find are ebay. I found a 6 inch one but it was pretty expensive.

3/16 is the size I was looking for too. The cheapest I could find was about $20 shipped.

Posted : 25/10/2016 12:13 pm
Steve Culver
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith/ABS Instructor

Bump; to get this thread to show in the New Content list.

Posted : 02/11/2016 10:55 am
Lin Rhea

I just picked up a 3 inch x 3/16 end mill because of our conversation above. It's pretty reasonable on the popular online auction site. I haven't used it yet.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 02/11/2016 11:40 am
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)

|quoted:

Drill bits do not drill straight holes.

I will use a small bit and the use a long shank end mill of the next size up to straighten it.

Don't forget that you can also buy end mills in metric by the millimeter and 1/2 millimeter.

And instead of filing out the web between the holes, use the end mill. It's a lot easier.

Karl,

Pardon my rather dumb sounding question, but when you use the end mills, do you mount them in the drill press as well or do you switch to a milling machine for that step?

Pat B

Posted : 29/11/2016 10:46 am

So many questions I've had regarding hidden or mortised tang handles have been answered in this topic of the month. Thanks for sharing this information! I'm going to the shop to give it a try right now.

Posted : 15/03/2017 12:30 pm
Karl B. Andersen

|quoted:

Karl,

Pardon my rather dumb sounding question, but when you use the end mills, do you mount them in the drill press as well or do you switch to a milling machine for that step?

Pat B

I missed this question and I apologize.

I mounted the long shank end mills in a pedestal drill press until I got a taller mill. I did that for quite a few years.

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 15/03/2017 7:28 pm
Page 3 / 3
Share: