Notifications
Clear all

Index Pin Allignment

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Trusted Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

I am struggling with pinning my spacer to the stag handle so I can finish them together and keep them aligned. I have located and drilled two 3/32” holes on the handle side of the spacer and now I’m stuck as to how to transfer the holes to the stag. I think I need a template to transfer the holes from the spacer but not sure how to keep the template aligned. My template is copper. Should I super glue them together? And then drill the holes in the stag? I think I’m close, just need a little nudge!

Posted : 27/12/2017 8:22 pm
Karl B. Andersen

I create that alignment BEFORE I drill the holes.

However, now that you've already gone that far, create two pins that are only .020 - .030" longer than your holes are deep. First thing to do is make some pin stock with a sharp point. Spin them with a drill on a belt to sharpen them. Cut them just a bit longer than the holes are deep. Put them in the holes with the sharp point pointing to the handle material. When you press them together the points will create small holes in the handle material.

Templates are a waste of time. They might work to keep the distance between the holes right, but placement is too difficult.

There are many ways to accomplish this, but now that you've already drilled one pair of the holes, try what I have said.

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 28/12/2017 9:30 am
Matthew Parkinson
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

I normally just drill the spacer then super gue it to the handle drill that. A small bit of heat or acetone will generally release the bond. make sure to reflat all the surfaces, to each other as the super glue can skue the flat a bit and make a gap.

MP

Posted : 28/12/2017 11:06 am
Topic starter

|quoted:

I create that alignment BEFORE I drill the holes.

However, now that you've already gone that far, create two pins that are only .020 - .030" longer than your holes are deep. First thing to do is make some pin stock with a sharp point. Spin them with a drill on a belt to sharpen them. Cut them just a bit longer than the holes are deep. Put them in the holes with the sharp point pointing to the handle material. When you press them together the points will create small holes in the handle material.

Templates are a waste of time. They might work to keep the distance between the holes right, but placement is too difficult.

There are many ways to accomplish this, but now that you've already drilled one pair of the holes, try what I have said.

Thanks Karl! I do have the the guard, spacer and handle all aligned and squarely mated. Your suggestion will work. Thanks again!

Posted : 28/12/2017 11:17 am
Topic starter

|quoted:

I normally just drill the spacer then super gue it to the handle drill that. A small bit of heat or acetone will generally release the bond. make sure to reflat all the surfaces, to each other as the super glue can skue the flat a bit and make a gap.

MP

I like your solution, Matthew! I assume you drill all the way through the spacer and use it as a drill guide for the handle?

Posted : 28/12/2017 11:21 am
Matthew Parkinson
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

correct, and if i am going to pin to the guard as well I do that the same way, doing that first then breaking it loose and gluing to the handle to drill that way. If you drop short reference pins in and then dry assemble everything as you glue the handle side you can ensure the same alignment.

MP

Posted : 28/12/2017 6:06 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

correct, and if i am going to pin to the guard as well I do that the same way, doing that first then breaking it loose and gluing to the handle to drill that way. If you drop short reference pins in and then dry assemble everything as you glue the handle side you can ensure the same alignment.

MP

I now have the handle pinned to the spacer. All is right with the world! Super glue is an amazing product. It obviously allows you to temporarily lock the parts in place to eliminate variables as you align the parts. Now to get the end cap dry fitted. Thanks again for the help!

Posted : 28/12/2017 7:51 pm
Share: