Notifications
Clear all

"s" Shaped Guard

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
Active Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

Hi folks:

I'm working on making an "S" shaped guard for a knife. What are the tricks of the trade for making an S that actually looks that way instead of coming out like a Z? I've had fairly good luck on test pieces placing them in a vice between 3 pieces of round stock and cranking it up. I'm using silicon bronze which seems to cooperate fairly well cold. I'm just not getting a graceful bend, pretty damn close but not quite. Thanks for your help.

Posted : 12/12/2015 7:31 pm
Matthew Parkinson
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

I normally bend by eye around the horn or with bending forks, I have used jigs in the past, this can be as simple as a chunk of pipe with a peg welded to it. you can also smooth a curve with files if it is close.

MP

Posted : 12/12/2015 11:08 pm
Karl B. Andersen

I enjoy a less acute "S" guard than some.I use my band saw, grinder and torch.

I cut out the profile on the band saw as viewed from front to back.

Grind the bottom portion as viewed from the side out of the original stock with a small wheel.

And then bend the top portion forward by placing in a vise, heating with a torch, and tapping forward with a hammer.

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 13/12/2015 11:12 am
Noble Member Apprentice Bladesmith

David,

When bending cold it is often difficult to get a uniform bend as the material wants to bend at the weakest point rather than equally throughout. The only way to really alter this is to add heat. Normally you will need an oxy/acet torch to reach the temps required. Be careful when doing this with either bronze or brass as the heat window needed becomes very small and overheating will result in ruining the piece. Bending iron or steel is much easier.

Gary

Posted : 13/12/2015 1:33 pm
Ed Caffrey
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith

Gary nailed it.....my exact thoughts too!

Ed Caffrey, ABS MS
"The Montana Bladesmith"
www.CaffreyKnives.net

Posted : 13/12/2015 4:13 pm
Active Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

Thanks for the pointers. I did some test pieces today using a compilation of methods. The stock is 3/16" so using scrolling tool to rough it out and then the horn of the anvil to smooth it out worked well. I can definitely see that thicker stock would require heat. I don't have oxy/acetylene but might try mapp gas if use anything thicker.

Posted : 13/12/2015 9:27 pm
Estimable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

I use a piece of heavy steel that is ground to the curve of the S that I want. I clamp my guard between this "jig" and another piece of steel tightly in a vise. I then just hammer the piece against my "jig" with a big brass punch. I often do this cold, but you can heat thick pieces. Flip the guard over and do the other end and you curves are exactly the same.

Brian

Posted : 16/12/2015 11:49 am
Share: