Notifications
Clear all

Giving Back To The Abs-How You Can Help The Expo

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Giving back to the ABS – How you can help the EXPO

The 2012 ABS EXPO is only a few months away and I wanted to share a few thoughts on the EXPO with all of you. When I attended my first ABS Hammer- In Dubois, WY in 1984, it was the first time I had ever met any other bladesmiths even though I had been forging blades since 1975. I was isolated in Maine (pre- internet) and I thought I was the only bladesmith in the world. You can imagine my excitement meeting Mastersmiths Bill Moran, Jim Schmidt, Don Hastings, and Hanford Miller and also my apprehension of how they would view my simple little hunting knives. The ABS had been around for a few years, but the membership was still small and there were only a handful of Mastersmiths. I was amazed at how willing these Mastersmiths were to help all of the attendees with ideas, suggestions and words or encouragement.

Fast forward a few years – I had just received my MS stamp and I was at a show talking to Jim Schmidt and I suggested that the ABS should have its own show. Jim chuckled and said “It will never happen. There would never be enough bladesmiths to put on a show.” I wish he was still with us to be a part of the ABS EXPO, and experience what he and the other Mastersmiths started up in WY in 1984.

Our EXPO is truly a unique bladesmithing experience that showcases the accomplishments of the ABS and all of its smiths. The EXPO is more than just a show for selling knives. It is a chance to share our skills and creativity with other Smiths, our loyal collectors, and the curious public. You’ll make new friendships and renew old ones. One observation I have made is this: since the EXPO began, if you look at the knives of the Smiths who have attended the seminars and exhibited their knives at the EXPO, I believe you will notice a quantum leap in quality and overall design of the work. I would like to think this is because each smith is surrounded by other bladesmiths who are all willing to share knowledge and encouragement. Excellence encourages more excellence and it is contagious.

The show committee would like to invite everyone to become involved in supporting and promoting the EXPO. The EXPO is for all of us who forge blades, or appreciate the history and skills the ABS promotes. By working together, and helping each other just like those early Mastersmiths in WY, our EXPO will continue to grow and evolve into an amazing bladesmithing experience. To paraphrase John F. Kennedy, “ask not what the ABS can do for me, but what can I do for the ABS?” We all benefit from the knowledge, ratings, and credibility the ABS has given us, so now is your chance to give back by supporting, promoting, and attending the EXPO.

You may be asking yourself, “What can I do?” You can send out your postcards, and request more if you need them. If you received raffle tickets to sell, please try to sell them or maybe even buy a few yourself. The dollars raised help pay for the raffle knife and defer some of the expo expenses. Even if you don’t plan to be at the EXPO, encourage your collectors to attend. If you are active on the Forums, talk up the show and post pictures of knifes you plan to bring. This is a win-win for you, the ABS and the collectors.

Unlike other knife shows run by promoters, this is YOUR show and its success and yours depends on you and the effort you put out to get your collectors to attend. Success is like a circle. The more enthusiasm created by the makers for the show, the more excitement and higher attendance by the collectors. The ABS is a major driving force in the knife world and by working together to support the EXPO , the makers can make this the most unique, must attend forged blade experience available to the knife collector today.

For more info, please go to your EXPO website- www.absknifeexpo.com

Larry Fuegen

Master Smith

Posted : 11/07/2011 7:35 pm
Share: