Clear all

I Need A New Editing Program And Could Use Advice

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
17.7 K Views
Karl B. Andersen
Topic starter

One of the things I enjoy a lot is showcasing the knives I make. I also use editing in other areas of my life as well.

I just lost the power supply in my old XP due to a storm power surge. The Mother Board and hard drive are ok so I got to retrieve all my old documents.

Bad news is, the editing program I have used for over 10 years will not work in Windows 7.

It's been a complaint for a long time with Windows Picture It! Publishing - it could do wonders and work miracles, and even be used by deaf, dumb and blind knife makers like myself.

It was stupid simple.

But they quit making it long ago and now is not compatible with newer computers.

One of the things I enjoyed so much was the ability to make cut-outs and place the cut-out on a back ground of choice and then add drop-down shadows in any direction at any intensity and transparency - literally at the click of a button.

Does anyone know of a program that does not require a degree to operate so I can continue to make pictures like these?

(The knife was photographed on a diffeent back ground, cut out and then placed on the picture of something else, and then shadow added.)

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 23/06/2016 9:20 am
Steve Culver
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith/ABS Instructor

I use Corel PaintShop Pro. I have the X7 version. They are on X8 now. Corel PaintShop Pro X8

This software is relatively inexpensive and can do all of the editing that you mentioned.

Posted : 23/06/2016 9:28 am
Karl B. Andersen
Topic starter

|quoted:

I use Corel PaintShop Pro. I have the X7 version. They are on X8 now. Corel PaintShop Pro X8

This software is relatively inexpensive and can do all of the editing that you mentioned.

Thanks, Steve.

I guess 50 bucks really isn't all too bad considering the value of it.

If you were me - would you go ahead and order the X8 Pro "ultimate'? Reckon there's an advantage over the simple X8 Pro?

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 23/06/2016 11:33 am

Karl, I might be able to assist. If you right click on the software you want to use and go to properties, there is a tab called compatibility. Click on Windows Xp SP3. Then hit apply. Try to open it then. If I have time, I can remote onto you PC while you watch and show you either this evening or tomorrow. If you can get away with not spending money on none knife making stuff ill help all I can! You can give me a call as well tomorrow @ 314-276-5555 its my cell

Posted : 23/06/2016 5:58 pm
Reputable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

I haven't found anything that can compete with Photoshop CS6 and newer.

I believe you can get the CS6 Elements for $50. I don't think it will let you make your own macros and stuff like that. But I believe it has all of the tools you'll need.

I highly recommend checking that out.

If you want to go free, paint.net will also get the job done if you have the time to mess with it. It's blending brushes aren't anywhere near as good as photoshop, but if you want to mask transparencies like you have there, it might work for you.

Posted : 23/06/2016 10:54 pm
Karl B. Andersen
Topic starter

The difficulty I'm having at the moment with the compatibility is that I am asked to CHOOSE the program that I want to have compatibility with.

But I can't even download the program from the program disk!

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 24/06/2016 4:43 pm
Reputable Member Journeyman Bladesmith

Hey Karl!

I use the Corel as well and I like it a lot. I still have so much to learn to use it to full advantage though...

Posted : 01/07/2016 9:13 pm

|quoted:

Thanks, Steve.

I guess 50 bucks really isn't all too bad considering the value of it.

If you were me - would you go ahead and order the X8 Pro "ultimate'? Reckon there's an advantage over the simple X8 Pro?

Karl- is this the program you went with?

Posted : 29/08/2019 3:11 pm
Karl B. Andersen
Topic starter

I am now using Corel Paint and I do like it. I am NOT using it up to its potential. But it has been worth the minimal expense.

I'd love to spend an hour or so with someone well experienced with it.

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 30/08/2019 7:06 am
Share: