Please, Keep A Good...

Notifications
Clear all

Please, Keep A Good Record Of Your Work!

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
Kevin R. Cashen
Topic starter

Among the sound business advice that is most often given to knifemakers who are getting started is to get good photography done on your work, it is the biggest tool in your PR arsenal. But I just finished an article for a major knife publication where I learned a valuable lesson that could save much of the future of custom knives and your own legacy.

Obviously, film and print photography are now dead, digital just beats it hands down. But it is more important than ever, for you to take charge of archiving your own high resolution images of your work. With everything instantly scaled down for quickly, and easily, sharing across social media apps, there are more images than ever out there, but very few that are of high quality publishable, resolution. The main source for the good stuff is from the professional photographers, but we have become entirely too reliant on them to handle it all for us, and not keeping high quality images ourselves.

In my article I wanted to include some images of makers whose work that inspired me and many others, some of the best, and most influential, makers in my lifetime, legends in our business. I couldn’t because most of them had no high resolution images to offer, I was referred to others who may have images of their work, but nobody kept them around.

Newer makers presented yet another challenge. I was promptly provided with nice looking photos of their work, but they came from a phone so that when I opened them, they were mere hundreds of pixels in size and not usable for publication. Then we had to hope that the photographer still had a high resolution version available.

So now I would add this advice to the photography thing- if you want to be remembered much longer that that last post you made on your phone, if you would like to be mentioned in an article five years from now, take charge of your own legacy and keep an archive of high resolution images in your possession.

Now you can say that printed publications are obsolete as well and thus your web pics will do, but it is not about printing- it is about processing and editing! Any publication, print or digital, love to do things like cut knives out of the background and other editing. Anybody who has ever worked with Photo-editors knows what it is like to lock onto features in high resolution editing vs pixelated images.

I would advise archiving images in something like tiff format, they don’t lose quality from compression like jpg, with at least 300 dpi, in at least 3000 pixels. This would essentially be an 8X10 at 300 dpi or better.

"One test is worth 1000 'expert' opinions" Riehle Testing Machines Co.

Posted : 13/01/2020 5:02 pm
DERRICK WULF
Estimable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Great advice. One other area where these high-res images are important to have is for large print displays, such as those many of us might have on our show table, or for flyers and brochures we may wish to have available for customers.

Posted : 13/01/2020 7:30 pm

Thank you Kevin, I'm guilty as charge. I took some notes and will pass them onto my photographer, aka Wife.

Posted : 14/01/2020 11:32 am

Another thing to consider would be to request the photographer (you, your spouse, your aunt Marge, etc.) to shoot in raw format and give you those files. They are particularly useful in programs like photoshop because they are quite literally the raw data from the camera with no effects/compression/filtering and thus can be manipulated to whatever you desire. The caveat being the files are quite large sometimes.

Posted : 14/01/2020 4:05 pm
Karl B. Andersen

I do believe I have high res photos of every knife I've made for at least the last 15 years. And I've tried to edit the best photos I can to the degree that I put my name on them.

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 14/01/2020 9:32 pm
Active Member Apprentice Bladesmith

Excellent advice. I do this for my other hobbies as well, but just recently broke my 'nifty fifty' 50mm 1.8 canon lens, which is relatively cheap, but I had it for almost 10 years. Time to buy another one, and also upgrade my camera to one with higher quality video support. I am thinking of going mirrorless as ease of use sometimes is the name of the game, since you're more likely to carry it with you and in effect use it.

Instagram: www.instagram.com/99smithingirl

Posted : 27/08/2023 10:48 am
Steven Herrnstadt
Active Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)

I’d also recommend the Nikon Z7 series. Excellent lenses and will adapt to the older Nikon lenses as well. 
I’ve used both. 

Posted : 28/08/2023 6:43 pm
Active Member Apprentice Bladesmith

Nice, eventually I'll get the A7 I think when I'm ready for a video camera. I'll keep my dated DSLR for now, since it's quite powerful for what it is, especially with the 50mm 1.8 lens. Very lightweight and handy since it's photo only. May dabble in lenses on my iPhone and use that to mess around for now.

I have an anamorphic iPhone lens I've made short movies with for small personal projects 

Instagram: www.instagram.com/99smithingirl

Posted : 29/08/2023 11:54 pm
Share: