Notifications
Clear all

Best Place To Purchase 4140

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I've recently started making my axes from 4140, 3/4" x 1 1/2" stock. So far I've been buying it off ebay but wandered if anybody had any leads on a better source.

Thanks for any feedback,

Matthew Shirey

Posted : 11/04/2018 2:31 pm
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Matthew

Speedy Metals is a fair place to get 4140, You can buy it by the inch or feet. I say it is only a fair place. I use to buy a lot of steel from them because you can buy only what you need.

But that has changed in the past year or so they have doubled and even tripled the price on a lot of the steel that they sell.

Most good steel yards sell or can get 4140, you will have to buy a full bar. 4140 usually comes in 10 to 11 foot bars, most steel yards will make one cut for free so you could have it cut

in half if hauling a full bar would be a problem.

Hope this helps.

Anthony

Posted : 12/04/2018 9:06 am
Topic starter

|quoted:

Matthew

Speedy Metals is a fair place to get 4140, You can buy it by the inch or feet. I say it is only a fair place. I use to buy a lot of steel from them because you can buy only what you need.

But that has changed in the past year or so they have doubled and even tripled the price on a lot of the steel that they sell.

Most good steel yards sell or can get 4140, you will have to buy a full bar. 4140 usually comes in 10 to 11 foot bars, most steel yards will make one cut for free so you could have it cut

in half if hauling a full bar would be a problem.

Hope this helps.

Anthony

Thanks Anthony!

Posted : 12/04/2018 4:52 pm
Estimable Member Journeyman Bladesmith

Mcmaster carr is a good place to source materials.

As an example.

1.5"X.5"X6' is $60 before shipping.

Posted : 13/04/2018 11:23 am
Trusted Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)

Have you asked your local steel distributors? That's where I get mine and for less then half the price of the on-line sources.

Should add, can only get round.

Posted : 24/04/2018 8:39 am

I was wrong, it's not half, the savings are a lot more. 12 feet of 3/4 inch round is costing me local under $25, at Speedy metals, it's over $80. The quote I got for 12 feet of 6 inch round, was $100 a foot cut, Speedy Metals was over $400 per foot. Don't overlook your local steel guys, if they carry it, it's generally going to be less.

Posted : 30/04/2018 5:35 pm
Joshua States

I have found that a lot of sucker rod is 41XX series and it can be found at scrap pricing from steel yards. I have used this for a variety of tools, drifts, punches, dies, etc.

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 01/05/2018 7:30 pm

True, but he was looking for larger sizes, I did the 3/4 and 6 sizes for price comparison.

Posted : 04/05/2018 7:42 am
Share: