Notifications
Clear all

Silicon Bronze

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hello All;

I'm looking for silicon bronze, to use for spacer material. Does anyone have any ideas?

I haven't checked with Aldo.

I found a web site; Atlas Metals, that sell it, but I don't know if they sell in small quanities.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Russell

Posted : 23/12/2012 11:30 pm
BrionTomberlin

Hello Russell. Try Alpha Knife Supply in Washington. They usually have some. Atlas does have it, but you have to buy larger quantities.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 24/12/2012 1:23 am
Topic starter

Thanks, Brion,

Merry Christmas!

Posted : 24/12/2012 3:10 pm
New Member Guest

Casting supply companies carry it. It works well for casting 'casue you don't lose tin and need to readjust the blend over time. Budget Casting Supply at http://www.budgetcastingsupply.com/Metals.php is where I get it. You can also find it at Jewelry supplies like Contenti etc. Trade name is Everdur or Alloy C873.

It does require other patinas from standard bronzes, fyi.

Kevin

Posted : 25/12/2012 5:08 pm
New Member Guest

Silicon bronze seems to be the preferred bronze for monumental bronze sculpture. As has been mentioned, Atlas Metals is the go to place for many folks. (The UH art department turned me onto them.) They have it all shapes and sizes.

Your better bet though is likely, as Brion mentioned, Alpha Knife Supply listing of misc metals. Sure looks like they have what would likely meet your needs!

I've had some success finding stuff via eBay's Metals & Alloys category, but you have to be patient. (I've set up a search that will notify me via email whenever any silicon bronze gets listed there.)

Posted : 26/12/2012 6:34 pm
Topic starter

Thanks, Phil,

It is good to hear from you!

We had a blizzard here in Southern Illinois with high winds and about 18" of snow, with drifts. Snow isn't as much fun as I remember it as a kid.

There is an old saying here in Illinois that goes like this. If you don't like the weather just wait a day or two, it will change.

Thanks Again!

Russell

Posted : 27/12/2012 12:52 am
New Member Guest

Hey Russell! I didn't realize that was you. It's been a while since we met at the hammer-in in Maine. I have been hearing about the nasty weather y'all have been having. Take it easy and stay warm!!!

Posted : 27/12/2012 3:03 am
New Member Guest

Here is a source for sheet stock.

http://www.ottofrei.com/Bronze-Sheet-Metal-12-x-12-Square-20-Gauge-0.82mm-.032-Thick.html

Posted : 30/12/2012 8:11 pm
Share: