Notifications
Clear all

Stock Size For An Angle Peen Hammer

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
New Member Guest

So I have a question. I am making an Angle Peen hammer in the last two days of my Metalsmithing Class and would like some info on the stock steel size I should get. I will be using 1045. I will probably get round stock and square it up but I will also get some square stock as well. Is 2" to big? Should I go with 1 1/2"? I am going for a 2lb hammer or there abouts. Any advice from my fellow bladesmiths is most welcome. Thanks.

Posted : 03/12/2014 12:12 pm
Ed Caffrey
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith

Personally I use 4140 for my angle peen hammers.....with 1045 make sure you use a "heavy" (slow) quench.....otherwise you can easily crack larger cross sections (like you're talking about). 1 1/2" square is what I use for the majority of my hammers....that will give you a finished weight of approx. 2 1/2 lbs. 2" stock will up the finished weight to about 3 1/4 lbs. Those figures are based on 4 3/4" lengths of each size of square material.

My Angle Peen Hammers

Ed Caffrey, ABS MS
"The Montana Bladesmith"
www.CaffreyKnives.net

Posted : 03/12/2014 2:08 pm
New Member Guest

Mr. Caffrey thank you for the info. I was hoping that you would be one of the persons to answer this for me seeing as I did get the idea after looking at the hammers you make. Thanks once again.

P.S. The hammer is coming along well.

Posted : 10/12/2014 1:34 pm
Share: