Notifications
Clear all

Greetings From Missouri! (Photo Heavy)

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Reactions
Topic starter

Hi everybody! Upon joining the ABS and ABS forums, it was recommended that I introduce myself, so here goes.

My name is Collin Miller, I'm located in Springfield, Missouri and I am currently sixteen years old. I made my first knife when I was eleven and haven't stopped since.

As a history enthusiast, My favorite styles to work in are blades from the Migration era, Vendel Period, and Viking era, occasionally venturing into Medieval and modern designs. I didn't discover bladesmithing through TV or the internet, nobody introduced my to the art, I was just a kid who liked to mess around and tinker with stuff. Soon after my first time heating up scrap metal in a camp fire and beating it with a claw hammer, 5th grade me realized this was something that I was meant to do.

I familiarized myself with the art of bladesmithing through articles, books, forum archives, and videos, learning through trial and error. I was very attracted to the work of smiths such as Jake Powning, David DelaGardelle, Peter Johnsson, Mastersmiths Don Fogg and Kevin Cashen.

In 2013 I joined Don Fogg's Bladesmith's forum, and I began receiving critique and advice on my work, which helped me learn faster and build connections with other smiths. Four years later, I am now working full time as a self employed, professional bladesmith.

Below are photos of some of my past work and a few pieces I have yet to complete.

A narrow sax I made as my interpretation of Beowulf's War-Knife. The size and proportions were based off of the the Nijmegen sax, with ornamentation inspired by artifacts from the Staffordshire Hoard. Materials are a San Mai blade I made from wrought iron and 80crv2, the bolster and butt plate are copper, a carved Cocobolo grip, and wrought iron pommel.

A three bar broad sax blade in the works. W2 edge bar, eight layer center bar made of 1084, 15n20, and 1018, with a spine forged of wrought iron.

A small Anglo-Saxon broken back seax in the works, 80crv2 and wrought iron San Mai blade, with a copper bolster, and boxwood grip.

The bolster was decorated and carvings designed with inpiration from the Trewhiddle find

And then the boxwood grip was carved

A wrought iron and 80crv2 San Mai EDC knife I made, with antique walnut handle and pouch style leather sheath

A W2 chef's knife with Ash bolster and Antique walnut grip

A few coffin style, frame handle Bowie knives I made back in 2015. Unfortunately, there were some quality issues with these due to my inexperience at the time.

Thanks for reading! I look forward in excitement to interacting with you all and learning from your work.

Posted : 16/05/2017 4:11 am
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Collin

Welcome to the ABS and Forum. Think about going to a ABS Hammer-In if you can, you can meet Master, and Journeymen smiths as well as apprentice smiths and learn so much.

This fall in September, just South of you in the town of Ozark there will be a Knife show with some Master smiths, with some demos. This would be a good place to start

and meet other makers. Just a thought you might want to consider. As well as the ABS Piney Woods Hammer-In in Washington Arkansas and the ICCE show in Kansas city also in September.

Nice work.

Anthony

Posted : 16/05/2017 4:52 am
Topic starter

|quoted:

Collin

Welcome to the ABS and Forum. Think about going to a ABS Hammer-In if you can, you can meet Master, and Journeymen smiths as well as apprentice smiths and learn so much.

This fall in September, just South of you in the town of Ozark there will be a Knife show with some Master smiths, with some demos. This would be a good place to start

and meet other makers. Just a thought you might want to consider. As well as the ABS Piney Woods Hammer-In in Washington Arkansas and the ICCE show in Kansas city also in September.

Nice work.

Anthony

Thanks Anthony! I'll have to look into those events.

Posted : 16/05/2017 10:12 pm
New Member Guest

Welcome Collin. I have a feeling you will like it here.

Chris

Posted : 22/05/2017 11:16 pm
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)

Welcome to the forum and all I can say is WOW!

Great work from someone so young! I'm 42 now and I've only been making a little over a year and I'll be happy when I can make it to your level! I can only imagine where you'll be when you get to my age!

Keep up the good work and make sure you read through some of the safety conversations on here. When I first started, I didn't realize how important something like a respirator is to protecting yourself. Take care of those lungs, eyes and everything else so that you have many long years of making beautiful work!

Posted : 28/05/2017 2:38 pm
Share: