Notifications
Clear all

Damascus hatchet help

Dennis Holtz
Active Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)

Hey y’all this is my first hatchet. It’s for a real good friend and he needs it for the weekend of the 4th. Everything was going good the I noticed this spot on the left. How can I fix this. I have two thoughts. Soak it in kerosene pop it in the hot forge pull it out when orange flux pull out yellow and tap. Option two is weld hot and grind away excess weld. I still need to grind away some weld on the right as well. 

Quote
Topic starter Posted : 26/06/2021 6:51 pm
Ed Caffrey
Master Bladesmith

 It's really difficult to tell what you're talking about... is there a split/crack/cold shut?   I've read your post several times, and the wording isn't making much sense.  Can you please clarify exactly what it is that is wrong....and what your trying to do?  Then maybe I can offer some advice.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/06/2021 9:19 am
Dennis Holtz
Active Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)

Okay, in the picture on the left side it looks like the corner of the forge weld didn’t take. I didn’t see it till I cleaned it all up. How do you thinks I should close that gap up. The ready of the hatchet is solid and fully welded. Thanks for the response and assistance. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 27/06/2021 2:35 pm
Dennis Holtz
Active Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)

*the rest of the hatchet is solid and fully welded. I was thinking of cutting a groove in it heating it and mig welding that spot. option two would be soak in kerosene put in forge then flux and hit when yellow hot

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 28/06/2021 12:40 am
Ed Caffrey
Master Bladesmith

 If I'm looking at the same thing you're describing, that's a pretty large crack/cold shut.  Trying to forge it close/down is gong to change the dimensions of that area.   Filling it will MIG weld is going to look horrible, and stick out like a sore thumb in the finished product.     Soaking in kerosene is good for small voids, but I doubt it would work well in this situation.   My personal fix would be anhydrous borax (flux) and try to close it up/weld it.   

  If that didn't do it.... frankly, I'd start over.   I know you said it needed to be done by "this weekend", but when we put deadlines such as that upon ourselves, things like this often happen.  I'm all about putting out the best quality possible... no matter who has to wait, or how long it takes.    I'd rather have that type of reputation than one of rushing and putting out substandard items.   😉 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/06/2021 8:13 am
Joshua C States
Estimable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

I would have to agree with Ed on this. I don't really think that is "fixable".  It's a hard pill to swallow.

The only thing I can think of is explain that it's "beta" and you will make another one. Ask him if he wouldn't mind taking this one out to field test it and make sure you got the HT, shape, weight, and edge geometry right. Use this as a learning experience. Take what ever advice he comes back with, and make the next one better.

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/06/2021 10:40 pm
Share: