Notifications
Clear all

Any Book Or Video Recommendations?

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Reactions
Estimable Member Journeyman Bladesmith
Topic starter

Anybody have any knife related book or video recommendations?

Posted : 18/09/2011 11:16 am
Dale Huckabee

I have so many it's hard to know which to recommend. I have probably watched Bill Moran's videos the most. As to books, I would say that I go to Blades Guide to Making Knives the most. Wayne Goddard's $50.00 Knife Shop is right at the top of the list. My advice is to buy everything you can. You can get used ones, from Amazon, pretty cheap. If you use them in the shop they tend to get a little ragged out anyway.

Dale

Dale Huckabee

Journeyman Smith

dalehuckabeeknives.weebly.com

Posted : 18/09/2011 3:48 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

I have so many it's hard to know which to recommend. I have probably watched Bill Moran's videos the most. As to books, I would say that I go to Blades Guide to Making Knives the most. Wayne Goddard's $50.00 Knife Shop is right at the top of the list. My advice is to buy everything you can. You can get used ones, from Amazon, pretty cheap. If you use them in the shop they tend to get a little ragged out anyway.

Dale

Those are some good ones. When someone asks me about getting into knifemaking I tend to recommend How to Make Knives by Barney/Loveless and Goddard's $50 Knife Shop. I figure with the Loveless book they will see a few different ways to make knives and with the $50 Knife Shop they will see that it is doable without springing for the grinder first. Plus they are quite economical and easy to find.

Posted : 18/09/2011 5:42 pm
Admin_DJC305

Allen:

I review all of the ABS DVD's and books before we post them in the store. I agree with Dale that among the best videos are the three (3) by Bill Moran and I would recommend starting with "The Making of a Knife". I would also add that the book "Handles and Guards" by Joe Keeslar is outstanding and would be a great addition to any bladesmith's library.

In addition, there are many resources that are available on the ABS Website at no cost. The Master Class in the Techniques Section of the ABS Website and the videos on the ABS YouTube Channel are excellent sources of information and are gradually added to each month. My favorite video on the ABS YouTube Channel and also one of the most popular with the public is the video of Bill Moran that was filmed in his shop several years ago and is displayed below:

[media] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUFEWHcSdiU [/media]

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 18/09/2011 6:19 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

I would also add that the book "Handles and Guards" by Joe Keeslar is outstanding and would be a great addition to any bladesmith's library.

That is one of my favorites and a bargain to boot!

Posted : 18/09/2011 6:52 pm
BrionTomberlin

Definite yes to all the above suggestions. Another book that I like to look at often, okay, A LOT, is, Stones " Glossary on The Construction, Decoration, and use of Arms and Armor". Amazon again for this one. The author covers all kinds of knives, swords, armour, etc. It is a classic reference book. Then there is the classic " How to make Knives" by David Boye. That was my first knife making book and got me started. I also like " The Craft of the Japanese Sword" by Leon and Hiroko Kapp and Yoshindo Yoshihara. Just a few from my library.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 18/09/2011 10:28 pm
Dale Huckabee

I almost forgot about Joe's book and it's laying on my work bench right now. It should be right at the top of the list

Dale

Dale Huckabee

Journeyman Smith

dalehuckabeeknives.weebly.com

Posted : 19/09/2011 9:59 am
Share: