Notifications
Clear all

Scabbard - new idea?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

Question? I am making this sword, and will soon be making the scabbard. Tradition has it that you start with two pieces of wood and chisel or router out the slot and glue them together. However because the cross section of the sword is diamond shape, it is really only a "best guess" not an exact fit.
What are your thoughts on this method.

1. make a thin leather (or sheared sheepskin for moisture control) "sock"/to protect the sword.
2. use a wood laminate to laminate (im thinking birch) a layer to the leather using contact cement. The birch would bend to the contour of the sword.
3. a layer of 1/8" balsa wood laminated on that with wood glue.
4. an outer layer of (maybe 2) of birch laminate.

This is the same construction technique used to make the mosquito bomber and creates a very strong "plywood" that is both light and depending on the laminate, could be very pretty, as well as an exact fit with a leather/sheepskin lining.

Add any fittings to the outside.

Anyone see any drawbacks or benefits I havent listed?

Bob Bryenton
Solar Storm Group Ltd.
Phone: (780) 953-0016
Email: [email protected]
https://www.solarstorm.ca

“The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible" -- Arthur C. Clarke

Posted : 18/02/2024 11:21 am
Matthew Parkinson
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

There are several methods to make sword scabbards. 

The two part carved method is one , it is possible to get this to fit very tightly just a lot of testing and fitting, most commonly if these are lined it's with felt. 

A second method of forming the core from thin sheets of wood (thin birch ply works wonderful for this) these sheets are bent over the sword in 2-3 layers per side and are glued , the glue bond between the layers will keep the form. This core can be lined with felt, and a welt added to make up the thickness difference. Most medieval scabbards were done this way, with thin verniers of wood with the grain running in opposing directions. generally lined in felt, then wrapped in Linen then in leather or the linen was sealed and painted over. 

A third method I have used was to cut a welt out of leather or thin wood  and glue thin sheets of to the welt then shape the outside. and wrap in leather. these work best for flatter cross section swords like viking swords with wide fullers. I normally line these with felt. 

MP

Posted : 18/02/2024 10:00 pm
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

Thanks Matthew Parkinson I did not know the laminate method was used in medieval times.  I guess there really are no new ideas.

Bob Bryenton
Solar Storm Group Ltd.
Phone: (780) 953-0016
Email: [email protected]
https://www.solarstorm.ca

“The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible" -- Arthur C. Clarke

Posted : 19/02/2024 9:04 am
Share: