Where Do I Get Shea...

Notifications
Clear all

Where Do I Get Sheath Leather

14 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I was wondering where to get leather for sheaths. I have a local source but from what I have heard they are real proud of their leather.

Posted : 31/05/2012 5:24 pm
Admin_DJC305

Jared:

I have been buying my leather from Panhandle Leather in Amarillo, TX for many years. They sell quality Hermann Oak Leather which makes a real difference in a hand made leather sheath. They also have a wide selection of quality leather tools.

One of our Master Smiths once said to me:" If you want your leather work to improve, buy better quality leather." He was right and I now see what he was telling me.

Panhandle Leather Inc.

4104 Amarillo Blvd West

Amarillo,TX 79106

Local: 1-806-373-0535

Toll Free: 1-800-537-3945

[email protected]

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 31/05/2012 5:49 pm
Karl B. Andersen

Dan, what leather do you order? For instance, on their holster leather, it says you have to order a minimum of 10 sides! That would run around a grand for small sides.

Or do they have other ordering options?

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 31/05/2012 7:40 pm
Karl B. Andersen

I think I see now - you actually have two different links in your post that take you to two different locations on their site.

I can figure it out.

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 31/05/2012 7:44 pm
Admin_DJC305

Karl

Yes. Panhandle Leather is a retail store that carries the high quality Hermann Oak leather. Hermann Oak only sells wholesale and in larger quantities than an individual knife maker could use. I wanted to show more information on the quality of and manufacturing process for Hermann Oak leather.

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 31/05/2012 7:56 pm
Topic starter

Thanks y'all. That's almost a straight shot north of me. I'll check out the page. I feel bad about every knife I have ever turned over that didn't have a sheath with it.

Posted : 31/05/2012 8:40 pm
Jonathan Stanley

I'm right where Mr. Jared is in his question. Everyone around here talks about Tandy's Leather Supply, do any of y'all have any experience with it?

Jonathan Stanley

Apprentice Smith

Posted : 31/05/2012 11:38 pm
Admin_DJC305

Gary Roberts sent this email to me with a link to another quality option for leather - RJF Leather

Dan

Chuck Burrows recommended this leather supply house- RJF Leather. I have a 8-9 oz, grade 1, double shoulder on the way Shipping in the $10-15 dollar range from NY. The price was around $5.90 sq ft.

Price is always a consideration but the quality is of great importance also.

It may be another option to have handy.

Thanks

Gary

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 01/06/2012 8:50 am
Steve Culver
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith/ABS Instructor

I have bought a lot of leather and tools from Weaver Leather. Weaver also sells Herman Oak leather. Weaver Leather

Wicket & Craig has some of the best leather on the market. Paul Long uses Wicket & Craig leather. Wicket & Craig

A good source for snaps, conchos, and fasteners is Ohio Travel Bag. Ohio Travel Bag

Posted : 01/06/2012 9:25 am
Trusted Member Apprentice Bladesmith

great topic.. yall amaze me w all the great resources everyone here has..

Michael Arguello

Apprentice Smith

Posted : 02/06/2012 12:14 am

I recieved my order from RJF leather and Dan suggested I report on it. Compared to Tandy, RJF is a better buy. The 13+ sq feet had NO holes or range marks, the leather was well shaped, almost rectangle.The flesh side was compact without long stringy fibers. The thickness was very even end to end. Roger is very easy to work with and is a good leather option to consider in the future.

He has no set minimum order.

Gary Roberts

Posted : 10/06/2012 12:29 pm

I buy alot of leather and stuff for my archery related gear from Brettuns Village. They know their leather and generally have pretty darn good prices.

Brettuns Village

Posted : 20/01/2014 10:50 am
Topic starter

|quoted:

I buy alot of leather and stuff for my archery related gear from Brettuns Village. They know their leather and generally have pretty darn good prices.

Brettuns Village

Thanks for the tip. I'll look them up and compare.

Posted : 20/01/2014 8:30 pm

I have been very pleased with Kentucky Leather and Hides in Sanora Kentucky. Their website is a little difficult to navigate in order to locate the vegetable tanned sides but the last two sides that I ordered from them averaged 23 sq' and cost $137 delivered to the house. Their website is www.kentuckyleatherandhides.com and their number is (270)369-8474. I have not used Herman Oak leather but I know for a fact that the sides that I received from these folks was better than what I got from Tandy.

Gary

Posted : 22/08/2014 9:06 am
Share: