Notifications
Clear all

1" Cube

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Active Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

Well, since it was my suggestion and everyone was so encouraging about posting here it is. While i was demonstrating at the New York State Fair today i took my 1" cube of O-1 and forged a small knife. here are some photos from start to now. i'm annealing it tonight so i can continue the demonstration tomorrow with hand filing. while you can't really see it well i left the area between the blade and handle as the 1/2" bar, just rounded it up.

a similar cube to show the audience

drawing the 1" cube to a 1/2" bar

setting the initial area for the blade portion

starting to set the second should to isolate the handle area

the preliminary shape after removing from the handle it was welded to

the rough forging next to the sample cube

just me working hard

not sure why the last photo keeps showing up, it's just a intermediate step

Attached files

Posted : 04/09/2015 8:42 pm
Lin Rhea

Great job! Sure changed the looks of that cube.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 04/09/2015 9:14 pm
Topic starter

Thanks, it made for an interesting demo, while some stayed for a good bit family pulled them away after an hour or so. i then had several people check in throughout the afternoon to see how it ended up, a few were disappointed i wasn't filling it today but we were only there till 4:30.

with forging by hand and answering questions it took about 2-1/2 hours from start to where i am now but it was fun. i look forward to seeing how it files tomorrow and i'll post some more pics then.

-c

Posted : 04/09/2015 9:27 pm
Topic starter

okay, day 2 at the fair. i didn't get as far as i wanted but lots of questions about 'white/bright smithing.' had a ball but we always do. here is where i am now, i did touch up when i got home with the grinder. i'll try to finish it up over the next few days.

the file vise i brought to use

after some filing and questions

here is my husband demonstrating and one of the crowds from today

after touching up with the grinder

some of the other blacksmithing items my husband and i created today, if you ever have a chance be sure to check us out. Our New York State Designer Blacksmiths provide blacksmithing demonstrators for everyday of the fair (10-4:30).

they do hide us in the back of the carriage museum but we're still there! in the photo is a utensil rack, a center punch, a cheese slicer (without the wire yet), a drive hook, a wood gouge and a wall mounted plant hanger.

thanks

-c

Posted : 05/09/2015 8:52 pm
Joshua States

Well, now.

This is a fantastic WIP (great little knife)and I love the blacksmith items too. (my wife will love this)

Thanks for posting. I can't wait to see how it finishes out.

I am going to send this to our AABA webmaster to link to on our site.

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 07/09/2015 1:13 am
Share: