Notifications
Clear all

10" Bowie In 0-1 And Sambar Stag

10 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi Guys

Here's another Bowie I recently finished, this style is proving to be rather popular. The blade is 0-1, 10" long, 1 9/16" wide, just shy of 1/4" thick on the ricasso and the knife is 15" long overall. The carbon steel hand guard has been forged thinnner at the tips to reduce it's thickness and give it some shape, the surface has been pattered with the tip of a cold chisel and then gun blued. The handle has three brass coined spacers and the carbon steel bolster has a filed centre fuller with two tram lines cut in along each edge.

The handle is Sambar stag which I have dyed with Fiebings golden brown leather dye and then sealed with Danish oil. The carbon steel butt cap is filed to match the antler, gun blued and held in place with a hand made pommel nut.

The sheath is natural tanned leather dyed mahogany brown with a tooled back panel and python skin in laid on the front panel, the tooled keeper strap is held in place with a sam brown stud.

Thank you for taking the time to look, all comments and critique very welcome.

All the best

Steve

Posted : 04/09/2016 6:38 am
Stuart Smith
Trusted Member Journeyman Bladesmith

Stylish

Posted : 04/09/2016 7:09 am
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Stephen

Very nice and clean , classic.

Anthony

Posted : 04/09/2016 8:26 am
Lin Rhea

Looks great!

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 04/09/2016 1:24 pm
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)

Home run!!! Nice job.

Posted : 04/09/2016 6:30 pm
Topic starter

Gentlemen thank you for taking the time to look and for your comments.

Kind regards

Steve

Posted : 06/09/2016 8:52 am
New Member Guest

Nice work Steve. The guard looks like it was a file or rasp in a previous life? I like it.

Chris

Posted : 06/09/2016 7:59 pm

Wow Stephen, great work! Thank you for sharing, scales are on the way to the UK.

Posted : 07/09/2016 12:05 pm
Active Member Journeyman Bladesmith

Very nice Bowie with all the fighting features!

Posted : 12/09/2016 8:08 am
Topic starter

Hi Chris

I wanted to do something a little different with the surface finish on the hand guard. Usually I would use the ball pien on a hammer to planish the surface, but this time I used the corner of a cold chisel and it does look like the surface of a rasp or rough file. I'll definitely use this technique again.

Thanks for your comments guys.

Steve

Posted : 24/09/2016 9:37 am
Share: