Notifications
Clear all

A 9" Bowie In 1080, Sambar Stag And A D Lisch Style Spilt Ring Guard

11 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi Gents

An order came in for a 9" Bowie with Sambar stag handle and a split ring guard. As far as I know the only maker that produces this style of guard is ABS Master smith David Lisch. I contacted David explaining about the order and asked him if he would mind if I attempted to make this style of guard for this Bowie. David got back to me and being the gentleman that he is said, " if you feel that you can do it, I say go for it".

The blade steel is EN42J (AISI1080), blade length is 235mm with a full flat grind, blade width is 43mm, thickness on the spine is 6mm and an overall length of 370mm including the pommel nut. The blade has had clay applied to give a differential temper line when quenched. The hand guard is a split ring in the D Lisch style with vine file work, thorns and a clam shell filed into the top. There are also three smooth brass spacers between the blade and the bolster. The gun blued bolster has a thin nickel silver line running through it's centre.

The Sambar stag handle has been left natural and cleaned back to reveal more of the white antler. The steel butt cap is gun blued, filed to match the flutes on the antler and held in place with a gun blued pommel nut.

The leather sheath is a Mexican loop style dyed golden brown. The main body of the sheath is golden brown and black with a python skin inlay on the front panel and a Sam brown stud and keeper strap.

Thank you for taking the time to look, all comments and critique very welcome.

All the best

Steve

Posted : 02/05/2017 12:37 pm
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Stephen

Looks like a very nice piece. Good work, and a lot of it.

Anthony

Posted : 02/05/2017 12:48 pm
Topic starter

Thank you for that Anthony I'm glad you like it.

Steve

Posted : 02/05/2017 1:02 pm

Love it Stephen, especially the guard and spacers, great job.

Posted : 02/05/2017 2:07 pm
cal harkins

I think it is beautiful!!

The split ring guard looks great!

Posted : 02/05/2017 6:48 pm
BrionTomberlin

Well Stephen I think you can do it. Great job! Nice looking bowie.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 02/05/2017 10:38 pm
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)

That's pretty impressive! Very beautiful work!

This raises a question in my mind though and I'm going to start a new conversation in the Apprentice Corner.

Posted : 02/05/2017 11:43 pm
Joshua States

Stephen, your work continues to inspire and astound me.

Looking at the exploded parts view, it looks like you might have also used David's recessed finial nut attachment detail.

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 03/05/2017 12:29 am
Topic starter

Hi Gents

Thank you for taking the time to look and comment on this latest Bowie, I really appreciate your comments, questions and feed back on any of the work that I post. The pommel nut on this knife wasn't recessed what I think you can see Joshua is the M5 thread bar that I keep the pommel nut on while I'm assembling and dismantling the knife during the build. You wouldn't believe how many times I can drop that pommel nut on the workshop floor then spend an age on my hands and knees looking for it. The dimensions of the nut are, height 10mm, main body 8mm in diameter and top diameter of 10mm. It has been drilled and tapped for an M5 thread.

I've got some before and after shots of the handguard if you would like to see them, I also have some build shots of the hinged threaded tang from the last Bowie that I made, but the build method is the same. I'll have to resize them first before I can post them. If you are up for it I'll look at getting them on the thread in the next couple of days.

Thank you once again.

All the best

Steve

Posted : 03/05/2017 7:07 am
Lin Rhea

Well done! It's a beautiful knife!

I think it's great also that you gave Dave Lisch due credit for the design. That's refreshing.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 03/05/2017 9:33 am
Topic starter

Thank you for your sentiments Lin, they are very much appreciated.

Steve

Posted : 06/05/2017 8:57 am
Share: