Notifications
Clear all

Annual Best of thread for 2023

20 Posts
9 Users
1 Likes
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith

Second is more of a regular knife for me, but I felt like I sort of hit a milestone that all my processes flowed smoothly( at least at this point of my journey). This chef knife has a blade over 9 inches by over 2, with an Apex ultra core ,nickel shim and wrought iron cladding. The handle is ironwood with an heirloom fit wrought bolster.

[img] [/img]

[img] [/img]

Posted : 23/01/2024 12:21 pm
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith

Last is something I tried with a friend ,but didn't quite workout. A three layer twist, straight, twist forge welded blade which worked out. my problem was forge welding the integral guard. After heat treat and grinding there were some bad forge welds on the guard. I felt pretty good about it even though the guard didn't make it and I will try it again. By the way^ that chef knife was through tang construction, glued a method I have been liking.

[img] ?1[/img]

Posted : 23/01/2024 12:33 pm
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith

You guys are all doing amazing work! A lot of inspiration in this thread! 

I think this Bowie was my favorite of 2023. I was super excited to win Best Custom Fixed at Blade Show West last year with this knife. Some pretty cool crushed W's damascus that has a higher layer count on top and a pure nickel stripe in the center. Some amazing ringed gidgee for a handle and some crocodile and shark on the sheath. I hope you dig it!

Posted : 25/04/2024 12:24 pm
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith

This is my favorite folder from 2023! Love how the mosaic damascus on the blade turned out. The bolster is a crushed W's with different layer counts and a pure nickel stripe in it. The person who purchased this knife said his daughter has heart issues and he said the bolster reminded him of and EKG monitor. So he bought this to represent his daughter. Kinda cool! 

Posted : 25/04/2024 1:08 pm
Joshua C States
Reputable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Looking great Shane!

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 25/04/2024 10:50 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: