Notifications
Clear all

Bowie With A Twist ( Or 2 )

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Trusted Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

Hi Everyone, or should that be G'day.

Anyhow, this is a bowie I finished recently BL 8 3/4" OAL 14 3/4" 3 bar twist 1075 & 15N20. Damascus fittings, copper spacer,Sambar handle. Comments welcome and thanks for looking.

Cheers Keith

Posted : 20/12/2012 10:39 pm
New Member Guest

Very nice! The pattern fits the blade well and it looks like everything flows together.

Posted : 21/12/2012 2:03 am
Topic starter

|quoted:

Very nice! The pattern fits the blade well and it looks like everything flows together.

Thank you Michael.

Cheers Keith

Posted : 21/12/2012 4:18 pm
Lin Rhea

I think this is a great example of a contemporary Bowie knife. The execution of fit and finish look good from the pictures.

I like the choice of materials. I have a question about the butt cap though. What is the dark spacer betweent he actual cap and the stag? Or is that a shadow? I like to carry the ferrule's theme back into the butt cap. In other words, I might put a thin copper spacer between the stag and cap. I also prefer bronze over copper, but that's a matter of taste to an extent. I think silicon bronze resists oxidation better than copper, but copper sure looks good.

Can you point out how you forged the tip of your blade? Split and reweld? Forge your point? etc.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 22/12/2012 8:23 am
Topic starter

|quoted:

I think this is a great example of a contemporary Bowie knife. The execution of fit and finish look good from the pictures.

I like the choice of materials. I have a question about the butt cap though. What is the dark spacer betweent he actual cap and the stag? Or is that a shadow? I like to carry the ferrule's theme back into the butt cap. In other words, I might put a thin copper spacer between the stag and cap. I also prefer bronze over copper, but that's a matter of taste to an extent. I think silicon bronze resists oxidation better than copper, but copper sure looks good.

Can you point out how you forged the tip of your blade? Split and reweld? Forge your point? etc.

Hi Mr Rhea,

There is a black fibre washer at the but cap, I agree with you in regards to carrying the theme of the ferrule to the but cap and in hindsight that would have looked much better. I have filed that in the old brain box for future reference. I also like silicon bronze and prefer it over copper. Copper gets a nice patina and well I have a whole lot of it. I forged the tip. Actually the blade was forged to shape and then stock removed as I did not want to distort the pattern by forging the bevels. I am making my customer another in W2 so he can take it in the bush, so I will forge the bevels in on that one.

Thank you very much for your comments. Always willing to learn, especially from someone whose work I hold in great esteem.

Cheers Keith

Posted : 22/12/2012 4:21 pm
BrionTomberlin

I think it is a really nice looking bowie Keith. Good design and flow to it. As Lin said, nice contemporary design. I also agree with Lin about carrying the theme through the fittings. Like you said something to file away for the future. As for the second one, I am guessing it will have a hamon? I would like to see it when you get it done.

Again good job.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 22/12/2012 9:48 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

I think it is a really nice looking bowie Keith. Good design and flow to it. As Lin said, nice contemporary design. I also agree with Lin about carrying the theme through the fittings. Like you said something to file away for the future. As for the second one, I am guessing it will have a hamon? I would like to see it when you get it done.

Again good job.

Brion

Thank you very much Brion. Yes It was one of those OH DUH, moments. The next one will have a hamon. I think the shape just cries out for a hamon. When I get it finished I'll put it up. Thanks again.

I will take this opportunity to wish you all a Happy and safe Xmas and New Year.

Cheers Keith

Posted : 22/12/2012 11:23 pm
Jonathan Stanley

Your stuff is just so AMAZZING!

First your sword and now this bowie, please keep posting pictures of your knives, there so inspirational.

Jonathan Stanley

Apprentice Smith

Posted : 23/12/2012 12:19 am
Topic starter

|quoted:

Your stuff is just so AMAZZING!

First your sword and now this bowie, please keep posting pictures of your knives, there so inspirational.

Thank you Jonathon,

I have seen some of your work! Now thats INSPIRATIONAL. And this is the place that you can grow. IMO this is as good as it gets right here. The opportunity to get some of the best knifemakers in the world, give us some tips and critique. The knifemaking journey never ends mate. Always striving for the better, and you already show that. Thank you for your kind words young fella. I look forward to seeing your work.

Cheers Keith

Posted : 23/12/2012 5:55 am
Share: