Notifications
Clear all

Buffalo Horn Bowie

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
New Member Guest

I recently finished this one up. It has a mortised tang buffalo horn handle, camel bone and red fiber spacer with stainless fittings. It has a 7.5" forged blade, 11.75" overall. Any critiques are welcome. Thanks

Posted : 01/05/2012 3:44 pm
Jonathan Stanley

Is that a mirror finish, or no?

If it is not a mirror finish then I would like to know "if it is not to much" how you make it look so smooth and take out the grinder marks without bringing it down to a mirror finish.

Again, that is such a cool knife!

Jonathan Stanley

Apprentice Smith

Posted : 01/05/2012 10:17 pm
New Member Guest

|quoted:

Is that a mirror finish, or no?

If it is not a mirror finish then I would like to know "if it is not to much" how you make it look so smooth and take out the grinder marks without bringing it down to a mirror finish.

Again, that is such a cool knife!

Posted : 01/05/2012 10:18 pm
New Member Guest

Thanks Jonathan. It is sanded with belts to 320 then by hand from 320 through 600. All of the strokes are in one direction on the 600 grit. The guard, false edge, pins and handle were sanded to 1200 then hand buffed with leather and semichrome polish.

Posted : 01/05/2012 10:23 pm
New Member Guest

Very nice knife. I see you live in Garland, I'm in Mesquite. I'm just getting started and it's nice to see a maker right down the street!

Posted : 03/05/2012 12:10 am
BrionTomberlin

Hello Gabriel. First off good work, I like the blade a lot. The handle I am not so sure about. Something just does not look qite right. I think it may be the shape. A slightly dropped handle might look better. Also the guard is a bit thick for my tastes. I usually use 1/8" thick material for my bowie guards like this then a spacer behind the guard. This makes the knife look lighter. Of course this is just my opinion.

Great job on the finishing. They are coming together and keep up the good work.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 03/05/2012 11:03 pm
BrionTomberlin

And here is an example. The guard is 1/8" thick 416 stainless with a spacer of 3/8" thick 416. The groove serves to lighten the spacer both literally and artistically. The handle has a slight drop and widens towards the butt which has a buttcapp of 416 that started out being 1/8" thick.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 03/05/2012 11:14 pm
Dale Huckabee

Nice knife Gabriel. Good job on the fit and finish. I have to agree with Brion, especially about the guard. I guess we have similar taste. When I look at the knife my eye is drawn to the guard first. It kind of dominates the entire package. I believer that when you look at a knife for the first time, you should see the entire knife. If you're eye is drawn to just one element, it usually means that something is off a little. Of course, that's my opinion. Again everything else looks good.

Dale

Dale Huckabee

Journeyman Smith

dalehuckabeeknives.weebly.com

Posted : 04/05/2012 8:20 am
New Member Guest

Thanks for the input. This and past critiques have been about the same elements so I see that guards and handles are my weakness.This kind of feedback is great and welcome.

Posted : 04/05/2012 10:24 am
Share: