Notifications
Clear all

Couple Of Coffin Handles

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

I had a coffin handle come out in the Jantz catalog, then shortly after that received orders for a couple. One is a 99 layer 1084/15n20 multi-bar opposing twist Damascus with a fine piece of mesquite burl. The other is a more utilitarian forged 1084 with natural canvas micarta. I've done six or seven coffin handles and finally feel like I have the process down. Lots of measurements involved in keeping things symmetrical and in making the pin placement look right.

Posted : 03/09/2019 11:12 am

Nice knives. I always liked a coffin handle Bowie

Want to see more of my work follow me on Instagram:JasonVolkertKnives

Want to get in touch with me [email="[email protected]"]Email[/email] me.

Posted : 03/09/2019 2:03 pm
Lin Rhea

Very nice Jason.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 04/09/2019 11:18 am
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

Been having a nice discussion with John Doyle over on knifedogs. The way I've placed the pins on these... the outer pins are all .3" from the edge of the handle. The back four are centered off the coffin corners. The back middle pin is equilateral off of the two rear corner pins. The front middle pin is 1/2 the distance to the guard from the back middle pin on the micarta, 1/3 the distance on the mesquite. Front outer pins are equilateral off of the front center pin, along the .3 line from the edge. I do like the placement on the micarta one better than the mesquite, as there's a visual open space between the guard and the front pins on the mesquite one that isn't as obvious on the micarta one. It's all trial and error, but I do measure some proportionality to every one. I'm certainly open to suggestions.

Posted : 04/09/2019 11:27 am
Lin Rhea

I like the micarta's pin placement too.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 05/09/2019 8:32 am

Those look real nice Jason.

Posted : 05/09/2019 9:30 pm
Share: