Clear all

First Dagger

3 Posts
3 Users
4 Likes
Branden Rapp
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

This is my first attempt at a dagger. It's a European Quillon Dagger with fluted Thuya burl handle. The blade is forged from 5160 steel. The cutting edge of the blade is 11 inches long. The guard, bolster, and pommel are mild steel. The handle is made from Thuya burl and has been treated with Carnauba wax. The flutes were hand filed. I definitely need more practice making double edged weapons. Any critique is welcome!

www.frontierforgeknives.com

Posted : 14/06/2021 12:20 pm
Kevin R. Cashen
Estimable Member Admin

Hello Branden, 

The flutes look good, a lot of filing went into them. If you are looking for tips on dagger design improvement I would offer two suggestions on shape.  Just about everybody tend to makes the edges parallel on their first daggers blades, but for the function of the dagger there needs to be a profile taper to streamline the penetrative abilities of the blade. The widest portion of the blade should be just in front of the ricasso with a gentle taper, incorporated with subtle curves, all the way to the point.  Also, the handle will function better in the thrust with a swell incorporated into it.  The swell, giving a slight barrel shape, should be center of handle or closer to the guard.  

Posted : 15/06/2021 9:27 am
Active Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)

That thing is beautiful! This is my first dagger as well I just finished it yesterday. O1 brass guard bog oak handle and threaded brass pommel. 

This post was modified 3 years ago by Dennis Holtz

Posted : 15/06/2021 1:24 pm
Branden Rapp reacted
Share: