Clear all

Forged Carving/boning/anything Cutting Knife

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
Kiril Mitrashkov
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

Some time ago I saw somewhere on the Internet such knife and liked it. I drew the design and saved it for later.A few months ago a friend came to the forge and was browsing through the design folder, when he saw that and asked me to forge one. I hate forging full tangs, but it was an interesting exercise, so I forged the blade, drilled some holes, grinded the bevels, heattreated it and left it on the shelf to wait. It was waiting several months, untill one day I decided it is time to make something I like, not the sual orders. At first this was designed as a carving knife, but on a fair, that I was invited, a guy came to the table and said he is a chef and this is a perfect knife for boning quails (how the hell you do that!), cleaning meat from the fascias and the tendons. This is how this knife became carving/boning/anything cutting knife.

The blade is forged rom U8A (W1) round bar. OAL is ~205mm, the blade only - 100mm. The thickness is ~3mm. The handle is shapes so, that it allows to hold firm the knife for cutting, or "pinch" it for better control. I thought it is better to have kydex, rather than leather sheath, because all the moisture and other things in the kitchen.

I know I suck at photo shooting, but please enjoy! Criticism welcome.

I am not lazy, I am on energy saving mode!

Posted : 04/12/2020 12:57 am
Share: