Notifications
Clear all

25T Press Dies

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

Thought I'd share some pics of how I elected to set up dies that can be swapped out easily on my Anyang press.  I hope this is helps out someone else out that may be looking for ideas with similar equipment.

The bottom plate is 1" with holes drilled in alignment with the T slots. The various die configurations are tack welded to 3/8" plate and slide in under the angle iron.  I've just tack welded material into place in various areas on the dies to make replacement easier when the material wears out.

I'm tapping a hole in the front of the 1" plate to attach a rotating tab to keep the dies from working their out during use. 

Posted : 26/10/2023 1:45 pm
Topic starter

Another pic showing a die installed in the bottom.

Posted : 26/10/2023 1:47 pm
Topic starter

Top View of same die installed.

Posted : 26/10/2023 1:48 pm
Topic starter

I should mention that the dies are not locked down tight under the angle iron.  They have some room to "wiggle".  After looking at them it isn't easy to tell this in the pics.

Posted : 26/10/2023 1:52 pm
Joshua C States
Reputable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Looking good Matt. You will rapidly find that making specialized press dies is your next endeavor!

I have seveal sets: Flat for welding, drawing dies, squaring dies, straightening dies, rounding dies, etc.

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 26/10/2023 9:38 pm
Topic starter

Thanks Joshua, I can certainly see myself having a large collection of press dies before winter is over!  🙂

A few weeks ago, I was at a damascus class with Ed Caffrey where he shared some info about making various dies.  After using them for a week or so, his advice has already saved me many headaches.

Posted : 27/10/2023 12:40 pm
Share: