Notifications
Clear all

Anvil Advice Needed

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
New Member Guest

I was thinking that since I will only be making blades maybe I should just buy a solid cube of tool steel instead of an anvil. So far the horn is just something to stab myself in the hip with. where could I find a nice 300lb cube of say h13?

Posted : 23/03/2011 6:33 am
Rick Baum

Ryan,

I don't personally know where to get a piece of steel that size, but from experience I can tell you that an owner, manager or purchasing agent at a machine shop would probably have a good idea. My uncle owns a local machine shop and I've seen pieces of steel in his shop that you need a forklift or a crane to move around. Since these guys are in business to make money, chances are they will know the most economical source as well. I hope that helps you out.

Rick

Posted : 24/03/2011 6:55 pm
Steve Culver
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith/ABS Instructor

Ryan,

I think a big chunk of steel would be just fine for a bladesmith. But if it's not heat treated, it may not last very long. You might wind up with a big old piece of beat up iron.

Posted : 24/03/2011 8:00 pm
BrionTomberlin

Hello Ryan. I know what you mean about the horn getting into awkward places, BUT, I do use my horn for tang drawing and curving things, like recurve blades. I also do some minor blacksmithing and the horn does come in handy. A place you might check is a steel and iron scrapyard. Provided they can tell you what the steel is. I agree with Rick, check the machine shops and see what they say. After all the japanese swordsmiths have been using the steel block type of anvil for centuries.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 24/03/2011 11:05 pm
Share: