Notifications
Clear all

Electrochemical Etching Machine

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
Trusted Member Master Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

I use an Etch-o-matic etching machine to etch my touchmark on most of my blades, which I chose because it is inexpensive (I know that's seldom a good reason.) While it does a fine job, I find that the setup time and the amount of electrolyte solution required to etch with it makes it pretty inconvenient for marking one or two blades every week or so (it requires both a flathead and phillips screwdriver just to take the pad off the etching head, which you have to do otherwise the screws rust in place.) Additionally, I would like to get a slightly deeper etch than I am getting right now.

Does anyone have a suggestion for an etching machine that is very effective and well designed?

Thanks!

Jordan

Posted : 04/11/2017 8:49 pm
Jesse_Smith

I use the Personalizer Plus. The pad is held on with a rubber band. Setup time is no existent and I've never wished for a deeper etch. Nor have I used it on more than 50% power.

Posted : 05/11/2017 12:47 am
Karl B. Andersen

I second the Personalizer. Incredibly simple to use. And effective.

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 05/11/2017 6:21 am
Lin Rhea

Personalizer Plus. I still stamp a few but this is much more consistent.

I burn it deep enough that it looks like a stamped logo. I use a clean felt and I lightly sand the carbon wand before every use. Rubber band works fine.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 06/11/2017 9:05 am
Karl B. Andersen

|quoted:

I burn it deep enough that it looks like a stamped logo. I use a clean felt and I lightly sand the carbon wand before every use. Rubber band works fine.

I scrub mine a little with a small piece of Scotch Brite I keep in the etcher container.

I etch on full high 20 times for 4-5 second cycles letting it de-gas a moment between cycles.

I mark with the same recipe.

Looks like I beat it in with a hammer.

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 06/11/2017 9:24 am

Another Personalizer Plus user here.

I had been tip-toeing around with the different settings and etch times for a few months. Last week, I finally set it on full power and got after it in a similar fashion to what Karl and Lin mentioned.

I've been using clean felt, but hadn't thought about cleaning off the carbon wand with a mild abrasive each time....good idea. Thanks for the tip guys.

Posted : 06/11/2017 12:20 pm
Evan Cihak
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith

I've got an IMG SS-211. It's a small unit with a generous amount of power- Not the cheapest one out there, but well worth the money. Patty was wonderful to work with, and very helpfull. She hooked me up with what they call their "Knifemakers kit". Everything you need to mark on a variety of steels, plus custom stencils with my logo on them. Again, not the cheapest, but I am highly satisfied with it.

-Evan

Evan L. Cihak

Posted : 06/11/2017 12:23 pm
Karl B. Andersen

|quoted:

Another Personalizer Plus user here.

I had been tip-toeing around with the different settings and etch times for a few months. Last week, I finally set it on full power and got after it in a similar fashion to what Karl and Lin mentioned.

I've been using clean felt, but hadn't thought about cleaning off the carbon wand with a mild abrasive each time....good idea. Thanks for the tip guys.

I buy the 9x11 sheets of craft felt at Wal Mart. $.25/sheet

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 06/11/2017 3:06 pm
Trusted Member Master Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

Thanks for all the advice. I am sold on the Personalizer Plus. Seems like a popular and effective unit.

Posted : 06/11/2017 9:05 pm
Share: