Notifications
Clear all

Filework Tools

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

I like to do firework on my knives. Does anyone know where I can purchase good filework files? I have bought 3 different sets of small files over the past year and all junk. After a few knives, the files dull out and bend easily. A common theme are they are all made in China.

Thanks in advance for any help here,

Scott

Posted : 21/06/2016 9:04 pm
BrionTomberlin

Scott, go to Riogrande Jewelers Supply. Look for grobet files. They are not cheap, but very high quality. You get what you pay for. They have a number of options including sets, in everything from needle files to larger. Just about any swiss or german file is going to be way above the chinese stuff in terms of quality.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 21/06/2016 10:03 pm
Topic starter

Thanks Brion. I will check them out.

Posted : 21/06/2016 10:15 pm
New Member Guest

I also second Rio Grande. I use small needle files a lot and I bought a set of F. Dick Needle files from them. I think I paid over $100 for the set but it's still going strong. I was amazed that such straight clean edges with sharp teeth could be made on a file so small.

Posted : 22/06/2016 7:24 am
Matthew Parkinson
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

I order from http://www.gesswein.com/ when i need new files. I also look around at estate/tag sales for OLD American made files in good shape and buy them if I can. I have been eyeing the INOX files the are spendy but they claim they will cut some pretty hard materiel.

MP

Posted : 22/06/2016 7:48 am
Topic starter

Thanks for all the feedback. I placed my order and am looking forward to using my new F. Dick Needle files.

Posted : 22/06/2016 9:54 am
Share: