Notifications
Clear all

Grinder Area Ventilation

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Reactions
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

Here is how my grinders are set up. My question is what size dust blower should I get? Im either gonna run pipe or 4" pvc to a spark arester then run it directly out my shop. . What size motor and blower am I gonna need to set this up? And does anybody have any recomendations for a specfic motor/blower source. I am looking for a quiet one.

Posted : 29/03/2017 3:43 pm
Trusted Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)

I am sorry that I don't have an answer for you. In part, I am posting to get notices when someone answers but I would also like about that big wheel grinder. What is the size of that belt? Also your shop is very neat and clean. My shop only inspires to be so uncluttered and grinder dust free.

Posted : 29/03/2017 5:34 pm
Topic starter

I just cleaned it up. I work over the road. I don't like to go off and leave it messy. That big grinder is a Bader Space Saver 3x132". It will flat out get with it. I like working in a cleaner environment seems like I can get more done that way. I've got to figure this dust out.

Posted : 29/03/2017 6:23 pm
Ed Caffrey
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith

Im either gonna run pipe or 4" pvc to a spark arester then run it directly out my shop. . What size motor and blower am I gonna need to set this up? And does anybody have any recomendations for a specfic motor/blower source.

I assume from the photo you live in a warmer climate? If so, then venting to the outside as you mentioned is a good bet. Here in Montana, venting out of the shop isn't an option, because in the cold months all the heat gets sucked out of the shop along with the dust/swarf. I have two different recirculating dust collectors in my finish shop.

Motor size will be dictated by the blower...and generally the more suction you can create, the better. The use of a spark arrestor usually means you must increase HP to overcome the "baffle" effect of the spark arrestor.

Ed Caffrey, ABS MS
"The Montana Bladesmith"
www.CaffreyKnives.net

Posted : 29/03/2017 9:10 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

I assume from the photo you live in a warmer climate? If so, then venting to the outside as you mentioned is a good bet. Here in Montana, venting out of the shop isn't an option, because in the cold months all the heat gets sucked out of the shop along with the dust/swarf. I have two different recirculating dust collectors in my finish shop.

Motor size will be dictated by the blower...and generally the more suction you can create, the better. The use of a spark arrestor usually means you must increase HP to overcome the "baffle" effect of the spark arrestor.

I live in Missouri. It gets cold here but when I fire the forge up it heats up pretty quick in there. I'm gonna get one of those infrared Mr. Heater heaters to mount overhead this next year. I'm thinking of using pic pipe for the lines then fabricating some metal spark and dust collectors under each machine with an air gate to isolate each machine. And there will only be suction on the machine I am using. I think it going directly out of the shop vs. trying to refilter it into some kind of filtering bag would be better. I would still wear my dust mask grinding but I wouldn't have to constantly clean the dust out of the shop.

Posted : 29/03/2017 9:50 pm
Topic starter

I am getting ready to get a 3phase rotary converter. That will open a lot of avenues for cheaper used equipment. I've also been looking at some heavy duty 3 phase blower fans.

Posted : 29/03/2017 9:55 pm

I'm interested in what you come up with. Please post photos!

Posted : 31/03/2017 3:05 pm
Share: