Notifications
Clear all

I Found An Anvil On Craigslist Just Wanted Some Opinions

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
New Member Guest

I found a 167 lb peter wright anvil , in ok condition the ad is asking $500 for it , what should I expect to pay for a good used anvil? Any sugestions would be appreaciated.

Thanks Anthony

Posted : 23/04/2013 10:02 am
Estimable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Peter Wright anvils are good anvils, but old and often abused. "OK condition" does not sound like one I would want. A 167 lb in Good condition would probably be in the $500 range depending on the day and the place (and if it is really is in good condition). If there are pictures of the anvil, I would suggest comparing them to ones on EBay to get an idea what you can expect to pay. Regardless, do some research to see what anvils are going for in different conditions.

All the Peter Wrights I have seen are solid wrought and have soft tops and are usually dinged up pretty badly. All those dings will transfer into your blade when hammering. While they can be cleaned up, missed blows will put them back in. I prefer a Trenton anvil with a steel top. They are much more forgiving with missed hammer blows.

Sorry for the vague answer, but I have seen them go anywhere from 1-5 dollars a pound. It really does depend on the day and place.

I would also suggest that you fill out your location on your profile. Sometimes if someone knows where you are located, they may contact directly about your topic. In this case, if someone has an anvil that they are wanting to sell and are close to you, they may let you know about it.

Brian

Posted : 23/04/2013 1:05 pm

I would pass. Sounds like too much. Anvils are sometimes cheaper found if you are a scrounger. If you spread word around that you are in the market usually one will turn up through a friend of a friend. Or a guy who knows a guy.

You may have to follow a few leads but I like the hunt and it will build sales skills. I know it did for me.

Posted : 23/04/2013 6:23 pm
BrionTomberlin

Anthony, having two peter wright anvils, I can say that mine are good anvils. As Brian says they are wrought bodies with steel faces. You just have to make sure the faces are in good shape. I feel that $500 is high. Anvils usually go for $2.00 to $3.00 per pound, so the price seems high unless it is in excellent shape. I would say keep searching.

Good luck.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 23/04/2013 10:40 pm
New Member Guest

|quoted:
I would also suggest that you fill out your location on your profile. Sometimes if someone knows where you are located, they may contact directly about your topic. In this case, if someone has an anvil that they are wanting to sell and are close to you, they may let you know about it.

+1 on the above ^^^

Hi Anthony,

From my perspective it would depend on a couple of things.

[list]

• Can you afford it?
  • Is it in good shape?
  • Will they come down in price? (The more that's wrong with it, the more discount to ask for.)
  • Can you wait to find a better deal or are you in a hurry?

If it's in good shape you might want to try and haggle a bit. You probably wouldn't be able to buy a new 165lb anvil for much under $1200. On the other hand, you could probably find a better deal with enough time and energy.

You may already know about things to check for when assessing an anvil.

[list]

• table surface flat and in good shape (no dings, dents, sway back)
  • edges crisp (not chipped or rounded/worn down)
  • horn, hardy and pritchet holes in good shape
  • good rebound (Drop a ball bearing on it from a foot or two high. It should bounce just about all the way back up. If doesn't, then pass on the anvil, even if everything else looks good!)

Do you know about Search Tempest for Craigslist? It may be of some help to you (depending on where you're located) as it can search multiple Craigslists within user defined parameters. eBay's can be your friend too when it comes to stuff like this. They have a heck of a blacksmith section! I don't know if they still do, but Harbor Freight used to carry a cheapo 110 pound anvil for under $100. The one I got years ago had a bit of rebound to it. It does dent pretty easy though, but can get you started.

Good luck!

Aloha, Phil

• Posted : 24/04/2013 2:31 am
    Estimable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Here is a video of what Phil was talking about. ball bearing on an anvil

Brian

Posted : 24/04/2013 1:01 pm
    New Member Guest

Thanks I updated the info, and thanks for the info I think I may just buy a new one instead of taking a chance on a used one . I see the Emerson Anvil they are only a couple hours away Thats probably what I will buy.

Posted : 24/04/2013 2:01 pm
    Robert Wright

Anthony, you might want to check out the Houston Area Blacksmith's Association ( HABA) tools sales web page. They have anvils listed from time to time at fair prices. I never bought one there as I didn't want to pay the shipping cost. Keep looking there are deals out there. $2.00 a pound is reasonable for used anvils unless it's a rare antique in great shape. But like Phil said, it's all in what you want and what you are willing to pay. I got lucky and both of my anvils were given to me! And, you can't go wrong with new if that is what you decide. Good Luck in your search!

Posted : 24/04/2013 11:31 pm

Since you are also in Texas you know it is a very large amount of land to cover...but if you are ever in Fredricksburg. There is a used blacksmith tool dealer that goes to the trade days there. I bought my most recent anvil from him for a reasonable price. You could google the trade days to find out the dates. There is also a blacksmith at the place that sells his wares and does demos. Might be something to look into.

Posted : 25/04/2013 12:18 am
    Share: