Notifications
Clear all

Mz75 Power Hammer

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Travis
Topic starter

I was just curious if any of you out there had one of these hammers or had any experience with one and what you thought of it. I am thinking of getting one.

Posted : 03/07/2016 6:40 am
Ed Caffrey
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith

I've worked on a couple of those hammers, and while any power hammer is better then no power hammer at all, I personally DO NOT like hammers that use an external compressor as a power source. In my experience, the problem with ALL externally powered air hammers is that fact that the recommended size air compressor will make the hammer function.....but on a very limited basis. Again, in my experience, in order to get "good" functionality from the hammer, you're going to need a larger compressor then what's recommended, and even then, you will find yourself having to "stop and wait" while the compressor "catches up". In the case of the hammer you mentioned, they state that the hammers are run on a 5hp/2 stage compressor with an 80 gallon tank. Based on my experiences, the minimum compressor I would choose for that hammer would be a 7hp/2 stage with 80 gallon tank. When you get to that level of compressor, you're gong to be paying as much, or more for the compressor, as you will for the hammer.

All that being said, were it me, I would be looking at the Anyang hammers. Personally I own/use a Say-Mak 110lb air hammer, but I don't think you will find those anymore. The Anyang hammers are self-contained, and having worked on the 33, 88, and 165 models, I can tell that there is a world of difference when compared to ANY externally powered hammer. Even the Anyang 33 (model C41-15) will out work, and have far better control then any externally powered air hammer I have ever used.

Not long ago, I had a friend who drove to Texas and picked up one of the C41-15 (33) Anyang hammers for his general Blacksmithing shop. I helped him set it up, and we spent a day "testing" the hammer. It seems they have made improvements, because I was impressed with just how well/how much that "little" hammer would do.

Obviously I don't know your situation, or your needs/work habits, but generally speaking, I would steer clear of the externally powered air hammers, and go with a self contained unit. They are just better overall.

Ed Caffrey, ABS MS
"The Montana Bladesmith"
www.CaffreyKnives.net

Posted : 03/07/2016 9:39 am
Travis
Topic starter

Ed, thanks for your reply and advice I appreciate it. I shot some messages over to the Anyang US supplier and they are being really helpful. You mentioned your friend got a 33, was it able to do a decent amount of work and hit hard? I would really like the 55 I think but the price and the size of the 33 fits me better. I have a press as well so can hopefully make up for whatever it lacks in power. After adding up the cost of a compressor (which I do not own and was only going to get for the hammer) and utility hammers this saves me a decent amount of money.

Posted : 05/07/2016 3:42 pm
Ed Caffrey
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith

I was pleasantly surprised at just how much work that little 33lb hammer can do. If you can swing it, I would go for the 55lb version....but that's just me thinking..... "I can do "little" work on a big hammer.....but I can't do big work on a little hammer.

The length of stroke on the 33lb hammer seems a bit small (limiting how "thick" you can work on), but I also think that's because I'm used to my Say-Mak, which I can easily work 4" X 4".

If I remember correctly, my friend said that when he went to Texas, he got to "try" the hammer before he bought it.

When it comes to the air hammers that use external compressors, I have to believe that they are bit deceptive, in that the price always seems "good", until a person realizes that the hammer is only about 1/2 the total cost of getting it up and running. And to tell the truth, I would far rather see a person buy a self-contained hammer.

My Say-Mak has been in the shop for a dozen+ years now.... and the ONLY thing I have ever had to do, is add oil, and grease it a couple times a year. Conversely, everyone I know who owns/uses one of the hammers powered by an external compressor are constantly having some type of maintenance/repair issue(s).

Ed Caffrey, ABS MS
"The Montana Bladesmith"
www.CaffreyKnives.net

Posted : 06/07/2016 8:41 am
Share: