Notifications
Clear all

New Forge

15 Posts
6 Users
0 Reactions
Lin Rhea
Topic starter

I am in the last stages of getting my new forge up and running. I have really taken my time with the lining, firing it for short bursts and letting the moisture come out a little at a time. I am hoping this forge will serve me for welding better than the other.

12 inch pipe. On the inside I used 1 inch of Blue Ram refractory and, then 1 inch of wool covered in Satanite. I also covered the outside in a blanket of wool. I dont know if this helps, but it cant hurt. I plan on welding in it this week sometime. The picture shows it turned down low to burn out the moisture. Lin

Attached files

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 12/07/2010 8:40 am
Rick Baum

Hey Lin...

That sure looks like a winner to me. I've been wanting to build a vertical forge for a while now. Make sure to let us know how it works. Is it a forced air setup?

Rick

Posted : 12/07/2010 7:06 pm
Lin Rhea
Topic starter

Yes, it's a forced air. Here is a shot of the fan and one to show how well the insulation works. Lin

Attached files

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 13/07/2010 8:15 am

Looks good Lin! If it were me I'd cover the outer wool with something. I know it's not likely that it will see enough heat to start breaking down, but if it does the bits that come off of it are really bad news for your lungs.

Can't wait to see what you weld up!

-d

Posted : 13/07/2010 9:52 am
Rick Baum

Nice Lin!

With insulation that is that effective, I'm not so sure that you need forced air.

Can't wait to hear how well and quickly it heats a billet.

Rick

Posted : 13/07/2010 1:10 pm
Noble Member Apprentice Bladesmith

Looks good Lin. I noticed that your blower in below the forge. I have debated over which is the best location. If you leave it below there is a chance of propane settling there and if you place it above then the heat after turning it off will go there and possibly damage the fan. What are your thoughts on fan location?

Gary

Posted : 14/07/2010 6:26 pm
Lin Rhea
Topic starter

Gary,

I was just getting it lower than the table top where my hose and wires could be below. I'm thinking of running a pipe from the intake of the fan up and through the blast of the back door out a reasonable distance. I want to experiment with preheating the air. The pipe gets hot, warming the air. If I do that the fan will be blowing warn air, but the fan will be OK, I think. Ever heard of this? Lin

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 14/07/2010 8:22 pm

|quoted:

Gary,

I was just getting it lower than the table top where my hose and wires could be below. I'm thinking of running a pipe from the intake of the fan up and through the blast of the back door out a reasonable distance. I want to experiment with preheating the air. The pipe gets hot, warming the air. If I do that the fan will be blowing warn air, but the fan will be OK, I think. Ever heard of this? Lin

That's something new to me. I would think that the hot air wouldn't have as much oxygen as cooler, denser air. It will be interesting to see how it effects the forge heat. Let us know how it works out.

Gary

Posted : 14/07/2010 10:38 pm
Lin Rhea
Topic starter

Well I forged all weekend with the new forge. I'm having to get used to this much available heat. I burnt up the first billet. Turned it into cottage cheese. I turned down the regulator and good things started happening. I am very pleased. It comes up to heat fast and really hums. I'm getting good solid welds and it's making me want to stay in the shop, even as hot as it is. Lin

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 20/07/2010 9:50 am

|quoted:

Well I forged all weekend with the new forge. I'm having to get used to this much available heat. I burnt up the first billet. Turned it into cottage cheese. I turned down the regulator and good things started happening. I am very pleased. It comes up to heat fast and really hums. I'm getting good solid welds and it's making me want to stay in the shop, even as hot as it is. Lin

It's always nice when a plan comes together. Well done!

Gary

Posted : 20/07/2010 5:50 pm
Dale Huckabee

Hi Lin,

I've never used a pre-heater, but have thought about it. I've had problems welding when the humidity gets real high. I'm thinking the moist air is the problem. A pre-heater might eliminate the problem by drying out the air. Check with Larry Harley. The last time I saw him he was using one on his forge.

Dale

Dale Huckabee

Journeyman Smith

dalehuckabeeknives.weebly.com

Posted : 21/07/2010 4:49 pm
Lin Rhea
Topic starter

Dale,

Yes, from what I've read and experienced, some days are just not good forging days. If it is the moisture in the air, I am wondering if the O in the H20 is the culprit? Lin

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 21/07/2010 6:42 pm
Eminent Member Journeyman Bladesmith

Hi Lin Glad your new forge is working well. A number of years ago the resident blacksmith at Sandia National Labratory ,Robb Gunter, came up with a forge design he called the recuperative forge, it was a two burner venturi type forge that was open for stock on one side and the other side the two burners stuck up through the exhaust port preheating the air. I think they did this primarily to get better performance at the relatively high altitude of Sandia, the ABANA website used to have pictures along with the plans for sale, I recently still found the plans for sale but no pictures.You may be the first person to think of this for a blown forge.I have been running two single burner venturi forges based on the designs of a guy named porter(cant think of his first name offhand)one for general forging and one for welding, they both work well, just a little slow getting to heat on the big one. I have been wanting to build a blown vertical forge and will give your idea a try, any chance of you posting a picture of the actual preheater?Thanks Lin. Kinzea

Posted : 21/07/2010 7:10 pm
Dale Huckabee

Lin,

That could be it. Whenever a tropical storm or hurricane blows into south Alabama, we usuall get a lot of rain from it. The humidity gets so high that water drips off my anvils. When that happens I can't get damascus to weld regardless of how hot or rich I run the forge. Everything else being the same, I figure it is because of the excess moisture being blown into the mix. A pre-heater might solve the problem.

Dale

Dale Huckabee

Journeyman Smith

dalehuckabeeknives.weebly.com

Posted : 22/07/2010 8:31 am
Lin Rhea
Topic starter

Kinsea,

At this point I am going to leave it alone. It works great as is. Later, I might add a preheater, but I had better concentrate on getting a few blades out.

I am thinking when the time comes to to make this thing is to set a steel box (maybe 1/8 plate welded)just out from the back door of the forge so it can pick up some heat. The box will have two openings, an "in" and an "out". I will then pipe the heated air down to my blower intake. The other will be taking in fresh air just out of the blast, warming it and delivering it to the intake. I would try to make the piping large enough so it wont restrict the blower's effort. This is nothing that I have seen, just something I want to try. Lin

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 22/07/2010 8:41 am
Share: