Notifications
Clear all

Opinions On Beaumont Grinders

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I am shopping around for a better bel sander. I like the Bader and the Beaumont (and can't afford anything more expensive than this). I'm leaning toward the Beaumont. Any opinions?

Thanks,

Matthew Shirey

Posted : 08/07/2018 10:22 am
Robert Wright

Look at the Northridge Tool grinder.

Bob

Posted : 08/07/2018 10:27 am
cal harkins

We have one of the KMG grinders from Beaumont Metal Works. We are really happy with it. It is made well. Heavy all steel construction. We took the poor boy route and ordered a grinder from Beaumont then we picked up a 2 horse motor and pulleys to put it all together. We should have gone for the model with the VFD. It has much better speed control. Harry and I have bought the horizontal grinder and the disk grinder from them as well. We are pleased.

Posted : 08/07/2018 5:22 pm
Matthew Parkinson
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

we have both a KMG and a bader, of the two i like the KMG better, it has better more consistent tracking and I like the platen and table design better. we also have two Pheers and I think they are a better deal for the money. The Pheer has every thing I like about the kMG and fixes some of the issues I have with that grinder..

MP

Posted : 08/07/2018 10:28 pm
Ed Caffrey
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith

I'd recommend either the KMG or Bader BIII. I've had a KMG in the shop for nearly two decades, and my opinion is that it's one of the most robust built machines you can buy.

I've been asked to review/test many of the "johnny come lately" grinders, and my issue with most of them is that they are built on what I would call, the "cheesy" side. Light gauge materials, and they seem to concentrate on "bling" rather then the factors that are important for grinding.

Before you plop down your money, take your time and do your research. Pay particular attention to customer service (service after the sale).

Ed Caffrey, ABS MS
"The Montana Bladesmith"
www.CaffreyKnives.net

Posted : 09/07/2018 7:58 am
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Matthew

I will seconded the Northridge Tool Grinder.

Anthony

Posted : 09/07/2018 8:24 pm
Joshua States

I've had the KMG for 12 years and this thing is rock solid. Vibration is your enemy when it comes to grinding and the KMG has zero (as far as I can tell). Also, Rob at Beaumont is very customer service oriented. I just wish he'd make a baseplate that allowed you to hook up the motor direct drive with a Love-Joy coupler. Another thing I like about the KMG is the versatility to make different rests, jigs and attachments. I have made several different things for the KMG over the years and adapting this grinder to my specific quirky desires is very easy to do. Another serious tick in the KMG's favor: Wuertz Machine works makes a killer surface grinder attachment for the KMG. I realize it will add a lot to the price, but it's the kind of thing that eventually, you will want to have.

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 10/07/2018 9:22 pm
Karl B. Andersen

You will be very hard pressed to beat the Esteem Grinder by Brett Mathews. It's based on the Bader BIII but is twice the grinder - and less $$

I have both - I know.

https://www.esteemgrinders.com/

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 11/07/2018 6:38 pm
Topic starter

Thanks for all the feedback folks, think I'm going with the KMG!

Posted : 12/07/2018 2:43 pm
Share: